Home | Reviews | On-Ear | Sony

Sony MDR-EX51LP On-Ear Headphones

2.44/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $30.00

• Fontopia® Headphones in-the-ear design: fits snugly, yet comfortably inside the ear; eliminates the headband so you can enjoy music while exercising, skating or dancing
  • Sony's first closed-type Fontopia design: reduces outside noise for high-intensity listening; helps generate powerful, resonant bass response
  • New, super-small 9 mm drivers: ultra-compact drivers produce powerful sound with space left over for the sonic isolation of Sony's newly-designed silicon earbuds
  • Soft, silicon earbuds: reduce outside noise, provide long-lasting comfort, hour after hour; the earbuds are washable, removable and replaceable
  • Two sizes of earbuds: accommodate a full range of ears

Submitted by michaelmissing a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2008

Bottom Line:
I was looking to replace my aging iphone ear buds with something comparable but with one of those in-ear earbuds with a reasonable price.

I bought the Sony MDR-EX51LP's with the hope that I would be getting something comparable in sound but once I tried these I was sadly disappointed. Very tin'ny sounding, virtually no bass, and overall instant dissatification.

I can't actually believe there are people on this board that have given this a + review - what a POS

Purchased At:   generic wireless sto

Submitted by Larry G. a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2008

Bottom Line:
My stock earphones that came with my Creative Zen hurt my ears. I'm a welder and listen to music on my MP3 player all day. I've always had a special place in my heart for Audio. The Sony MDR-EX51LP have a perfect fit. As soon as you put the earbuds in without music they block out the outside noise by a lot. The stock phones did not do that. When I turned on the music and went thru a few songs that had cymbals, vocals and drums I knew they sounded better than the stock phones. No, it wasn't dramatic, but better. What I like most is the soft rubber comfortable and snug fit.

Purchased At:   Radio Shack

Submitted by innerreflection a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2007

Bottom Line:
Well i have had these for a few days and am using this with the creative zen vision:m 30gb. I listen to music for about 8 hours straight at work and my ears were killing me. I figured that i would use the big bulky headphones but well that wouldn't go so well at work. I have read all the reviews on the headphones and to be honest im surprised that everyone is saying they suck.

The bass indeed is a little different but its not something that sounds horrible, and the treble to me is perfect. If you are planning on maxing out your eardrum then i wouldn't get these for the quality but i don't use something that is so close to my ear drum to damage it enough. It's probably the ear that is getting more distortion cause by it but ye s i will agree it sounds a little bit struggling.

the treble to me is perfect but the bass is not so hot. the zen has an eq that you can customize and it sounds great that way but not really stock.

I will say that for $30 i think they are great compared to others out there and for bass enthusiasts or if you need more get the $90 ones they are bass enchanced but i think its too much bass for me for these little guys.
If i want bass i will get some big' o dj headphones or some 12" subs in the car.

OH YA and in addition its got this really cool holder but i still don't get how your supposed to use it to wrap up the cord also. does not make sense to me but the hold is a nice protection for your investment.

Make sure you test out all of the rubber cone things because if the bass is not heard correctly or at all rather then you should change it to the other sizes.

Also to describe how it feels when you talk with them in is very simple. If you have ever had your ears popped like in a plane or kind of like water in them. when talking it feels weird but thats because the little rubber piece is blocking out the outside noise. Niice !

otherwise overall i love these especially compared to the stock ones with not only quality but comfort.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Kofi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2005

Bottom Line:
I was looking for some headphones for my used ipod (4th gen) I bought on ebay, and the guy at the Sony store pushed these down my throat - maybe they are trying to clear the stock and I can understand why.

Overall I am very disappointed with these headphones. It is not the comfort or the wires (both are fine for me) but they sound like they are "trying too hard". The bass is overpowering, and not precise at all, and the treble starts to shriek with a higher volume. The "balance" is way off, and no amount of repositioning in the ears seems to fix it. Believe me, I have tried classical, jazz, rock, lounge music etc, but nothing seems to work on these headphones. For a while I though it was the ipod - so I tried listening to some tracks that were burnt on the Apple Lossless format, and with many different EQ settings, but to no avail. Then I tried them with my Denon bookshelf system, and also with my B&O CD player.. no better.

I'm going out to buy what I should have bought in the first place - Bang and Olufsen A8's.

Purchased At:   Sony Store

Submitted by loneXCrunr a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2005

Bottom Line:
I bought the sony mdr-ex51lp after reading great reviews about them on the web (obviously not from this web site, otherwise I would have reconsidered). I am somewhat dissapointed. I've only had them for a few days, maybe they need longer to break in? I'm not sure, but everyone says that you need to have a good seal, but I've tried all the bud sizes. The medium ones sound the best, but I find the headphones in general to be quite harsh in the medium and high ranges. These phones sound the best on songs with quite a bit of bass like hip-hop, but otherwise I find them quite harsh. Does anyone have any suggestions for better fit? After having said that, however they are definitely an upgrade from whatever phones came with your portable device. I kind of regret buying these, however they are a good choice if your looking for an extremely portable better-than-whatever-came-with-your-player pair of headphones. I've decided that it's difficult to get a really good pair of earbuds under $180, so i'm going to stick to over-the-head phones from now on. No doubt I'll use these in the future though when I want something very portable. I plan on trying the Grado SR-60 after reading reviews and listening to a pair, they're some of the best sounding headphones i've heard at a decent price: $69

Purchased At:   amazon.com