Home | Reviews | On-Ear | Grado

4.61/5 (132 Reviews) MSRP : $99.00

• Store Promotions Shipping Price

• Vented diaphragm
  • Non Resonant air chamber
  • Standard copper voice coil wire
  • Standard copper connecting cord
  • mini plug with 1/4" adaptor

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by davidn a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2014

Bottom Line:
    Bought this many years back (~10 years) and have been listening to them on and off since. This is what I found over the years.

Starting with the bad:
    These cans are not for everyone. It is not for DJs or sound desk because they are open and won't block out any noise from outside. The band is very crude - a metal band wrapped with vinyl with little to no padding at all. The band is attached to the cans simply by a metal rod. Foam padding doesn't last very long depending how oily or how much you sweat. Thank God these are easily replaceable. Grado has since changed the pad design and I have them too. They don't improve the sound or comfort at all. Personally, I prefer the old ones. I don't like the cables particularly well either. While thick, the thick part is a "skin" and feels flimsy where cable from each can joins tother and I often fear it will break.

In short, the design is very crude and out-date especially since there are so many new players in this area nowadays. We now have such as Parrot with organic design and 5 mics built-in...

The good:
    The sound of these cans is amazing. I have a closed pair of headphones (Share SRH940) and I still go back to these little Grados often because of how sweet, open and engaging the sound is. The price is fantastic for the sound. If you are in a quiet environment, it is a beauty. If you must hear your surrounding, it works well too.

Contrary to many's opinion, who stated that Grado clamps too hard and are not comfortable. Because of the simple design, you could stretch the band and reduce the clamping force and make it how ever light or firm you like. Can't say the same about a lot of the others which uses plastic and you run the danger of snapping the band in two! I have seen companies that would manufacture custom band/padding to make these cans more comfortable also.

In addition, these cans are very easy to drive.

So why 5 stars. These Grados are cheap for the (great) sound they produce compared to product that cost a lot more.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by Marcel5 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2009

Bottom Line:
    I've bought these headphones in the local audio store after reading a lot of raving reviews. After using them daily for 2 months I've decided to sell them because I don't like the sound.

The foam padding is uncomfortable, after one or two hours your ears really get sore because of the stiff foam edge. I've used them in combination with a modded X-Can V2, the sound is very bright and makes my ears tired.

The built quality is good, apart from the splitter that divides the audio cord into left and right. When I bought the headphones the cable was already slightly torn at his part, showing the white interior cable.

Product model year:   2008

Purchased At:   Dutch audio store

Submitted by Tom Samarati a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2008

Bottom Line:
    Grado SR-80. I've owned my pair since the late 1980's. I love the sound they produce. I hate to wear them for more than 30 minutes, they are so damn uncomfortable.

Purchased At:   Grado labs mail orde

Submitted by Phil Canard a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2007

Bottom Line:
    Compared SR80 to SR60. Preferred the SR60.

Submitted by Phil Canard a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2007

Bottom Line:
    Compared the SR80 to SR60. There was a slight difference between the two headphones, but I did not feel the SR80 was better. The SR60 was a better deal.

help grado sr80 or senn hd555

i have been reading up a lot on the grado sr 80 & senn hd 55 can you guys plz. give me your opinion i dig 85% jazz playboy after dark 2 that kind of stuff. help me choose thanks in anticipation. newbi winstonRead More »

Buying without listening....Grado SR80

Do you think this would be ridiculous? I listened to my friends RS-1's and loved them. I think the donut style foam pad that comes on the SR80-RS-1 is very good(which goes against most). The problem is I don't really have time during the week(work schedule) to go audtion them. At the same ti ... Read More »

Grado SR80 vs. SR60

In reading this thread: [url]http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=4496&highlight=grado[/url] I have a question for those who have listened to both the SR60 and SR80. How do these two compare, and what are the differences you found between them? I have read that the SR60's are great ... Read More »