Home | Reviews | On-Ear | Grado

Grado SR60 On-Ear Headphones

4.5/5 (179 Reviews)

Vented diaphragm Non Resonant air chamber Standard copper voice coil wire Standard copper connecting cord mini plug with 1/4" adaptor

Submitted by ashraf qashoqa a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2016

Bottom Line:
one of the best headphones to buy, the better one was sennhiser hd-580. the only complain about the grado was that build quality the sticks of the ear cups can become lose, no screws were used just glued and it dissolved by time otherwise nothing to say.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by zac a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2015

Bottom Line:
I own one of the best headphones on the market for a mere $299.99. The model is grado 326e upgrade from the 326i. This phone smacks of good tight bass, excells on mids, and super details on treble. Go higher up the chain and the music has more warmth and alittle less bass but to each their own listening of sound. Grados comfort is to be of getting used to but once settled in the music is incredibly widestage a to almost errie which I truely love more than anything.

Submitted by Petter Engblom a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2010

Bottom Line:
Bought my sr 60 for $79 and I just love them. They fit very nicely on the ears and the music is amazing. I would recommend these headphones to home-listeners only. They are not very portable, but dont get me wrong, they are in fact really durable! They are also totally open which means that the music leaks out. There is also an advantage of this leakage, it provides an amazing sound.

However there are a slight rattle in both of the cups while producing low bass notes. As long as you dont blast the music and play HipHop you dont have to be worried about that though.

I used the Sennheiser HD485 before these. The bass is slightly weaker on the sr 60 but the music is more pronounced. I would say go out there and buy them! They are good looking and they give you amazing sound for a very low price.

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by Donald MacGregor a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2010

Bottom Line:
I just cannot endorse these things. Uncomfortable, horribly made and harsh sounding, they may be good for those who like slam but there is no refinement here at all. Mine fell apart, the cups rattled on low bass notes and I couldn't get rid of them fast enough. There are lots of better options and for not much more $$$ there are really great headphones like the AKG K240s and the Shure SRH440s. Do yourself a favor, if you only have $60 to spend, buy the Koss PortaPro at $45 and save for one of the other models I'm mentioning.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by CHS a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2009

Bottom Line:
Got it for a bargain nearly new ( 1yr old mint condition ). Paid US$35 off ebay.

Sounds just great for that money. Okay, so it pales to a real audiophile setup. No one disputes that. I use it with my Ipod at work, unamped and it blows away any tiny buds (Shure/Klipsch/UE) for that price.

I know what good systems sounds like. I have an old Marantz/Accuphase/Castle system in my living room, and a Cello/Sonus Faber in my bedroom. I have buddies who own Macintosh/Krell/Burmeester setups, and we play CDs & SACDs in each others home regularly.

So before any snooty audiophile starts a bilious rant about how MP3 will never trump the "real thing." Chill. I know what you are going on about.

I have never been into headphone gear. I only wear headphones when I jog with my Ipod.

But lately, I wanted a setup at work where I can blow off some of my music when I burn the midnight oil.

So I turned to the internet and the story of the Grado's came up the most positive. I have no real bias, and through my whole life I have one principal - buy 2nd hand. Someone else pays for the depreciation, and being audiophiles, people can't resist upgrading. So I am forever collecting other peoples discarded well cared for or nearly new gear. Its amazing why people keep chasing sonic nirvana by paying ridiculous prices for incremental upgrades.

Annyhow, these cans arrived in their original box with nary a scratch. Mint.

Plugged it into my Ipod and was instantly wowed ... before this, I stuck with the regular "white buds" from Apple.

But what was really amazing was the quality of sound upgrade when I plugged it into my jogging Ipod shuffles ...

This was a pleasant surprise. These small shuffles are well endowed. Steve Jobs and the dudes who designed this little gadget must love music as much as I do.

Taught bass, open mids and great musicality.
Has a touch of bright sibliance.
Needs to be played loud to be enjoyed.

Good for rock, jazz, blues and male voices
Not so good for orchestral or female vocals (too much sibliance ... )

Definately not the last word in absolute detail, clarity or soundstage. But hey ... it is so much better than some small costly home systems I have heard!

I can't tell you if its better than other similarly priced cans or even the cans that have stratospheric price tags. But if you have never tried headphones, or have been using small buds. Give these a try and be impressed.

Product model year:   2008