Home | Reviews | On-Ear | Denon

Denon AHD 550 On-Ear Headphones

4.33/5 (6 Reviews)

- Gold plated headphone plug.
- Superior external noise isolation.
- Oval ear pads with super comfort padding.
- Low resonance driver housing.
- High polymer film diaphragms.
- High purity Oxygen free copper Litz Wire input cable.
- High strength neodymium magnets.

Submitted by julester23 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have had these headphones for several years now, and i have to say they have already outlasted 3 other pairs of headphones i have had. I had some Koss headphones where the earpads fell out (i got a free replacement), then i was listening one day when my roommate stepped on the cord and it ripped the thins apart (off of my head mind you!). That happened again with some $40 open-air Sonys too. I then got these Denons with a Good Guys warranty (first time i have ever bought one, and probably the last too).

Anyways, these were the best sounding closed ear headphones for under $61 at the time and they are awesome. I believe they probably sound better than the competition because they are supra-aural which aims the sound right towards your ear drum. These are also quite durable. I through them into my backpack without worries these days, and they can handle the abuse fine.

In the long run when i am buying exclusively home headphones, i will get some good open-ear circumaural headphones. Koss A-250s possibly....

Purchased At:   Good Guys

Submitted by Julien a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2003

Purchased At:   Good Guys

Submitted by veganaudio a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have little to compare, I guess they are alright, I prefer to listen to speakers in open air, rather than close enclosures.

I'm always wondering if they are headphones out there that will make me change my mind

Purchased At:   The Good Guys

Submitted by w60i10 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
I love these headphones. Denon is not considered by some to be in a tier with sony when it comes to home audio but that is mostly becuase of advertisement. Most just assume sony is better because it is a big name. I find Denon products to top sony's in most cases. These headphones are no exception. They are great sounding, very durable, comfortable, and are cheap for the quality.

Purchased At:   a local retailer

Submitted by Tony a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
Really great set of headphones. Bass is very deep and tight. Great with all types of music. I agree with the reviewer below about their performance compared to most Sony's i've listened too. I like them better the Sennheiser HD-580s that I just sold. Great bargain in you can find a pair for under $90.00 bucks. Highly recommended. I'm sure there are better cans outhere, but you'll have to spend quite a bit more to equal the performance of these. I do not listen to headphones that much and just bought these for more or less "Casual listening" at night. But I got a lot more then I expected. Not as comfortable as the HD-580s but still comfortable. Proof that more money doesn't aslway mean better sound.

Purchased At:   Custom Home Hifi