Home | Reviews | On-Ear | Denon

Denon AH-D950 Stereo On-Ear Headphones

4.9/5 (10 Reviews)

Open air dynamic stereo headphones

Submitted by Basher a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
Having owned these headphones for considerably over a year and a half, I felt it was finally time to review them, provided they've had PLENTY of time to break in, show flaws, etc. Soooo, here we go!

I was introduced to these headphones back when I was just coming out of my 'big boom theory' stage, and into the hi-fi world. A friend showed me the headphones in the Denon Professional Products catalog, and I saw the frequency response (2hz-31khz) and was blown away! NEVER before had I found a company that even claimed below 18hz in LOUDSPEAKERS, much less headphones, so needless to say, the bassfreak in me came out, and I said 'Those are SO mine.'.

Two VERY anxious weeks went by before they were finally delivered, and in the initial listen, my mind was blown! Never before had I heard such pure sound out of ANYTHING, while retaining that ultra-deep, forward bass response! It was put best when a friend was listening to them, and commented while listening, 'Wow..it feels like my chest should be vibrating!'. I simply beamed with pride.

Nowadays, when I listen, it's 'that same old perfect sound' out of them, having a relatively flat response and sounding very 'capable', if that makes any sense. These headphones have forever changed my audio tastes. Unfortunately, I lack a good headphone amp, so I'm not really sure of what they're REALLY capable of outside the headphone amp in my Klipsch promedia 4.1's.

You ask, 'But what about bang for the buck? '. Denon's all over it. These phones have practically annhiliated everythinig else I've heard so far. AKG is its closest contender so far but lacks the extended bass response and presence of the Denons in a serious way. Not to mention how noisy they get past 25hz, and how hard they are to power (600 ohms?! Give me a break.). I have yet to hear Grado, so I can't quite say Denon makes the best phones out there yet. But it's looking very likely, so far. At least, to my ears.

Purchased At:   Local DJ Equipment R

Submitted by ShnikeJSB a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2002

Bottom Line:
I did a TON of research on the internet before getting these cans, and when I do research, I REALLY do my research (usually means weeks of searching, comparing, surfing, reading, etc...)! It came down to these Denon AH-D950's, and Grado SR-125's. After lookign around, I realized most people said the Grado's were best for Rock, while it seemed the Denon's were more suited for more beat-oriented music. Well, I listen to more techno, dance, trance, and rap than rock, so I went with the Denon's (not to mention I LOVE bass, and these things go WAAAAAY low), not to mention the Grado's were more $$$!

So, I ordered the Denon's, and have not regretted it since! THE BASS IS AMAZING (especially when driven decently, which is why I have ordered a HeadRoom Total Airhead protable headphone amp, so I can get the most out of these beasts!). The highs are clear and crisp, though not piercing, like I have heard in other cans), the midrange is warm and inviting, and like I said, the bass is amazing and responsive. There has been ZERO distortion, even when I jack up the volume (except on the Bass Test CD turned up high). These babies have some range (in more ways than one, I have never seen such a long and thick cord!). They are so detailed, I hear things I have never heard before.

They seem to be of high quality construction, so I don't think reliability is a question (no problems after about a year or so). They will be with me for a long time.

For $100, you can't beat these headphones. I strongly recommend them to anyonw who can afford them. I hope the Total Airhead will drive them to their full potential. In all, great headphones! -JB

Purchased At:   Can't remember (onli

Submitted by Mike a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
The Denon AH-D950 headphones offer superior "bang for their buck." With deep pronounced bass and crisp highs. The mids are sometimes drowned out by the bass, however this is easily fixed by use of an equalizer.

Submitted by Ghengis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
bought these from a local store because i could. this way i didnt have to deal with shipping if something goes wrong. these things are amazing. the circumareal design provides fairly good isolation. thx to the padded headband, i can wear these for hours w/o tiring. sound is excellent. im hearing little details that i've never heard before (compared to my $20 sony walkman).
compared the the sr60s, i think they sound just a bit better in the mids and highs, but the bass is easily much more abudant. the bass has a good presence, while being tight and punchy. these are a great set of cans. and guess what? they probably wont grattle.

Purchased At:   custom audio

Submitted by Paul Chan a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
Imagine the Sony V6, with more clairity smoothness, and comfort. The sony V6 was very bassy, perfect as a good priced reference tool for dj's to beatmix. Yet I would never use them for listening to hi-fi. These are so smooth and accurate and rich it's amazinig. It's a closed unit perfect for monitoring reference, but not quite as nice for producing a 3d aureal sound that like the sennheiser 590's would, yet I still think they can produce a smoother louder sound. I didn't want sennheiser, they made too much noise because they are open eared. These are great, 50mm driver, lower reistance of 30ohm, and range from 2hrz-30 000, a super wide range.

Great head phones.

p.s. The sony v6 isn't as nice as the technics 1200dj, just as a suggestion.

Purchased At:   local place