Home | Reviews | In-Ear | Shure

Shure E5c In-Ear Earphones

The E5c is Shure's top-of-the-line model, offering the richest possible listening experience. Dual high energy micro-speakers capture the high- and low-frequencies, while an in-line electronic crossover separates these outputs. You can hear your music like never before, where subtle details are brought forward for a lush, complete listening experience. The E5c features dual low mass/high energy drivers for the richest possible listening experience. Instead of relying on a single speaker to cover the entire frequency range, the E5c combines dedicated high- and low-frequency drivers to maximize the overall frequency response of the earphone. An in-line electronic crossover optimally blends these outputs, resulting in a full, rich sound unlike any you''ve previously experienced. The E5c also features memory-fit cable, which can be formed to direct the cable behind your ear for a more secure fit. Once formed, the cable retains that shape, further personalizing the earphone''s fit.

Submitted by tommybcao a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2009

Bottom Line:
This ear phone is the best ear phone ever hear. I think it is the best ear phone under $1000.00. It is best value for high end ear phone.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by ReverEND_Krell a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2006

Bottom Line:
I bought the shure e5c's straight after some koss models (headphones) and sennheiser cx-300. It's not a just compairson for the other earphones to be compaired, they are crumbled when put up against the 5c's.
this feedback is given with the triple flange sleeves coupled to the e5c's, original accessory. i have a cowon/ iaudio 6 (mp3 player) which use with 320kbps mp3s only. the only gripe i had was the memeory fit cable, but after awile it's actually quite good. if you buy the e5c's, give this memory cable some time before you get mad about it. otherwise the quality and overall feeling with e5c's, is very good.
the sound is something else. here you will find a bass that is not thick and boomy. you clearly hear the difference in the bassregion. drums and basslines are separated and clearly defined with air and texture. the impact and dynamical contrast is unparalled to that of the cheaper earphones. i do not find the e5c's bright or harsh, on the contrary, the are highly resoluted but with a refined sense and smooth analog warmth, not giving listening fatigue!
resolution and ambience is beyond all earphones i have previously encountered.
these earphones actually renders highly dynamical music extremelly well.
i often listen to multilayered electro and metal aswell as the typical pop/rock.
no matter what musical preferences are, slipknot, frontline assembly, radiohead or classical, etc etc...
voices and instrument are no revealed more closely for what they are, compaired to the cheaper earphones.
i would strongly recommended the e5c's to each and everyone, knowing why they have a higher bit rate mp3 (320 instead of 192kbps) in their portable mp3's.
what is offered here, with these earphones, are something quite special.

Purchased At:   -

Submitted by audiopablo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2005

Bottom Line:
I picked up these Shure e5c earphones / earbuds from Ebay where some audio store was trying to get rid of their e5c earphones that were in the window display of their store.

I have been using these for about 3 hours and I bet these need to be broken in some more, but I have to say I'm currently in a state of euphoria. I have NEVER EVER heard audio of this quality. Not from big can earphones, or at a concert, or from speakers. As other reviewers of in-ear phones have emphasized, it is VERY important to get a tight seal. It's not impossible or even that hard. In fact, if you use the expandable yellow sleeves that are kind of like earplugs, you can easily get a tight seal the first or second try. Upon getting a tight seal, plug into a good audio source like an Ipod or computer that hasn't compressed your songs too much. I was amazing even while listening to mp3s that HAD been compressed.

The best thing about the quality is that every frequency is crystal clear, clean, and accurate. Now I know what people are talking about when they say the highs are harsh or the bass is muddy. These are the exact opposite.

Downside for me is that I went straight to the top end stuff. I imagine the e2c or e3c or the e4c, that are all hundreds of dollars less, are comparable in quality.

I would have paid probably up to 500 for these babies. I'm going to get a lot of use out of these both while exercising, walking around, and just sitting at the computer all day.

Another plus is that you DON'T have to blast the volume (thus damaging your hearing) to get great quality.

Lastly, these are better than Bose QuietComfort cans because with those you can still hear stuff around you. If you want to completely plug out ALL external sound, get these. Note that this may be really dangerous when someone in the building is yelling FIRE, or honking at you while you're about to get hit by a car crossing the street. I'll probably definitely be a GREAT target for mugging or pickpocketing while listening with these e5c. For an example, my roommate walked into the room and I had these on at a medium to low level and i could not hear him speaking at his normal speaking volume. He is a LOUD dude too. Hope that helps.

Also, I haven't tried on an airplane yet however, and I do like my QuietComfort Bose headphones for air travel.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Maryland Listener a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2005

Bottom Line:
For iPod listening...or any other portable device, these are a huge step up from ordinary earbuds. Expensive but worth it to the serious listener who wants to travel light and/or be discreet. They sound better after a few days' use. To maximize the whole iPod experience I use Audio HiJack Pro ($32, rogueamoeba.com) to customize each track I covert to iPod use, using an amazing array of excellent filters and effects including a 31-band equalizer, excitifier and reverb generator to produce a sensational improvement over straight copying. This produces a full-bodied, smooth, open, spacious sound that seemed impossible to get on portable devices; certainly ordinary mp3 and AAC listening can't compare. The dull, closed-in, lifeless sound so often heard on portable devices can be brought amazingly to life. Then these Shures really soar.

Purchased At:   EarphoneSolutions

Submitted by jetjockgordo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2005

Bottom Line:
I just spent $10,000 putting a blown 1500 horsepower V12 in my 1975 Pinto. Great at smoking tires but doesn't corner, stop, or look good but wow! what an engine!

Sounds crazy doesn't it?

Well that is how I see these gems from Shure. People spend alot of money on IPods and the like just to cheap out on headphones. PEOPLE....headphones ARE the music maker! I am now a full believer that you should save to afford great headphones then buy the audio device. The E5C's are without a doubt the most amazing headphones I have ever tried and, belive me, I have tried many of them. What is really amazing is how good they sound on equipment that I thought was junk or just not great at playing music....including my IPaq cell/pda phone. Now I know better and have found audio bliss. My Bose headphones....shelved....my $500 Sony studio monitors......shelved, and every other ear bud headphone....no comparison. I am listening to them right now and with the Triple Flange tips that are comfortable and VERY noise isloating, it's just you and the music (or a low bitrate MP3. Redo time!)

I know buying a $500 IPod might be tempting but if you can't afford geting the Ipod and these E5C's then for sure, buy the E5C's first and get some audio player at a lower price until you CAN afford it. Trust me, you won't regret the money spent. PS. www.provantage.com has them for $393.00 (as of 2/28/05).

Regards,