Etymotic Research ER-4P In-Ear Earphones

4.71/5 (38 Reviews) MSRP : $330.00

Product Features: Compatibility: Personal Audio; Design: Ear Buds; Connectivity: Cable; Usage: Professional; Frequency Response: 20 Hz - 16 kHz; Impedance: 27 ohm; Sensitivity: 108 dB; Noise Isolating: With Noise Isolating; Plug Type: 3.5 mm; Cable Length: 5 ft.; Weight: 1 oz.
  • 5' cord with 3.5 mm stereo phone plug
  • 1/4" stereo phone adapter plug
  • 6 white flanged eartips
  • 10 foam eartips
  • Filter changing tool with 4 filters
  • Due to customer requests they increased the low frequency sensitivity of the ER-4P relative to the ER-4S

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Nikolaus Arnold a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2011

Bottom Line:
    Do not buy any of ER's products unless you like to waste your hard earned cash on overpriced junk. Yes, junk. I owned ER6i and two pairs of ER4 headphones, they all sucked. Cable break at the 'y', a known problem with ER. The wires are so flimsy, no surprise. The real kicker is that this company has the nerve to charge $50 plus shipping to replace a $2 plastic wire. They also found that the pod stems on my ER4s where 'cracked', bringing the repair cost to a whopping $130 a pair (paid $200 new).
    After three new costly pairs of Etymotic Research gave in (poor design) I would strongly suggest to research UE or Sure or other brands. I will never give them my business again.

Submitted by ZUSTOMAN a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2010

Bottom Line:
    I HAVE PURCHASED THESE EARPHONES (ER4)JULY 09 FOR MY NEW CHOPPER MOTORCYCLE DO TO RIDING IN THE OPEN WIND I HAVE KILLED TWO BIRDS WITH ONE STONE (WIND & TUNES)!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    IT WAS THE BEST PURCHASE I HAVE MADE TO MAKE MY LONG DISTANCE RIDING AWSOME, EVEN THO THEY WERE EXPENSIVE, I FEEL YOU PAY FOR WHAT YOU GOT IN LIFE!!!!!!
    CANT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT SERVICE ASISTANCE YET?HOPE I DONT HAVE TO EVER HAVE TOO FIX THEM?
    BUT ALL AND ALL THERE GREAT!!!!!!!!!!

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by Dave G. a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2010

Bottom Line:
    It has taken me many years to finally give up using over the ear headphones. I just could not believe there was any "stick it in your ear" phone that had the quality I have grown used to. Well, how wrong I was! Maybe I shouldn't admit to this but I picked up a new set of Etymotics ER6i's on an internet auction for $3. I figured this would be a good time for me to try a pair and if they did not live up to my standards I could just give them to one of my kids. Since then I have not used any of my over the ear headphones. There has been no need to. It took a little time getting used to putting the ER-6i in correctly but when I did I thought they were the last headphones I would ever need to buy. That's been a little over a year ago and since then I just had to step up to the ER-6P.
    I have always been extremely critical of the sound quality in my music. I have a stereo in almost every room in my house. I even have one in my garage! Maybe I've been a little to much old school, but I grew up with the bigger the better idea in the 60's and 70's.
    It has taken me a few years to get the quality products together so that I can truely enjoy my music on the go. With the ER-4P I am using a160gb Archos 605 and an Emmeline P-51 Mustang high resolution headphone amplifier when space is not an issue. When I want it all to fit in my pocket I am using an IBasso T-1 headphone amplifier and an Insignia (don't knock it unless you've tried it) NS-2V17r Bluetooth 10gb MP3 player which altogether weighs less than 3.5oz.!
    For reference the over the ear headphones I own are Grado SR325, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, Sennheiser HD 500 and JBL Bluetooth Reference Series 610.
    Oh, buy the way I still won't give the kids the ER6's

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by Paul Dodd a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2010

Bottom Line:
    Being a tight Yorkshireman I was alittle reluctant to pay nearly as much for my earphones as I did for my MP3 player, but...... Having read reviews of these little gems and borrowing a pair of ER6's I decided to break the bank. All I can say about the 'microphoning' of the cord is turn the volume up !!! Yes it is evident when listening to quiet pieces of material if your a bit of a shuffle butt. The rubber bungs for me are very un-comfortable and made my ears sore after a short period of listening. The foam tips are much, much better to the point of providing hours of comfortable listening and they also offer slightly better sound insulation. The sound quality is superb, providing plenty of detail and clarity. There the best piece of kit I've purchased for years !

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by jimbojambo a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2008

Bottom Line:
    Great product backed by great company.

Purchased At:   headroom