Sony MDR CD780 Digital Reference Headphones

4.69/5 (13 Reviews)

- 50 mm driver for deep bass, wide dynamic range.
- High-power neodymium magnets for maximum power and minimum size.
- Linear-crystal oxygen-free copper litz cord.
- Aura-nomic design conforms to ear's anatomy.
- Self-Adjust Headband for maximum listening comfort, hour after hour.
- Replaceable cloth earpads.
- Detachable single sided cord.

Submitted by ha3flt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2011

Bottom Line:
It's the most robust, comfortable and reliable headphone at the same time as I've ever seen with its detachable, thick, long cord with gold pins etc. Also, it has a lot of bass, it's really wide, very dynamical etc., so it's a proper device to listen through it to that futile, imbecile thing the masses call music (and I use sometimes as psychedelics while working as well - no one is perfect).

BUT its sound is anything than natural! It lacks something in the mid-high range very painfully, hides instruments almost completely scrimping on the experience of music art. It's terribly sly by making you awe for its wideness and wildness, then if you occassionally compare it to almost anything else called headphone, you suddenly become a sadly blinking piece of cabbage... I should have bought a better one eons earlier (as I did it to my father), but it's so elastic and comfortable... :-) And good loudspeakers can't get beaten, anyway. This is only for the background when needed.

Submitted by Ken Watrhouse a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2010

Bottom Line:
I use these for my pc, and the tv at night. They are the most comfortable i've ever had. Like soft pillows on my ears. I use them for many hours per day, and theyre very comfortable. I paid about £80, but now after about 7 years the pads need replacing. But what value for money!!

Submitted by George a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
Bought them because they are EXTREMELY comfortable. I had a pair of sony headphones with the leather earcups, but those are very fatiguing, and become too uncomfortable after 40 minutes use. These you can wear for a few hours before giving your ears a break. Sound quality is good, although I have limited experience with high priced headphones. Unlike leather suction headphones, these leak a lot of sound.

Purchased At:   etronics

Submitted by motoki a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
I was looking at $100 range headphones, and I had a good exprience with SONY product before (I don't remember the model, but it was around $50 10years ago). I heard this is comfortable even with glasses on, so I deceided on this.

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by Brad a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
After searching for comfortable, clean, bassy cans for a good price, I found these for a song on ebay. They sound just as I expected: accurate, entertaining, vibrant. I haven't heard that many different cans, but compared to some Senns, Panasonics, Audio Technicas and other Sonys these are up in the top 10% of most of the stuff found in stores.

Sennheiser: