Sennheiser HD535 Headphones

4.5/5 (32 Reviews) MSRP : $169.00

The HD 535DSP is an open dynamic hi-fi stereo headphone for the discerning listener. The lightweight aluminium voice coils of the transducer systems give an excellent transient response. The clear tonal quality provides for an excellent reproduction of the sound stage.

Submitted by Giovwnni Joubert a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2013

Bottom Line:
I got these from my dad, 5 years ago - who bought them about 10 years before that. I really love these headphones, new Sennheisers struggle to compete. There is a lot of wear and tear on the headphones but the speakers are still perfect, I had tol replace the cable which cost me like 40$ ( I replaced it with a better cable ). I run these with an old Technics Su 500 ( back when they were still great ) which I also got from my dad, the amp is about 25 years old. I am amazed by the fact that these are so old but still rocking any sound I give it.

Submitted by David Rosario a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have several headphones and reference monitors, and my HD535's provide the best results for mixing. These are not GOOD-sounding headphones; they are ACCURATE-sounding headphones. They will only sound good if the mix is good, which is a good thing because they reveal flaws in the mix.

I am ordering replacement cushions, as I have used these so much that I am wearing them out. I've already been through a replacement cable.

Since these are no longer in production, this advice doesn't matter: if you want headphones that make everything sound good, look somewhere else. If you want headphones that accurately reproduce the mix, this is what you want.

Submitted by embi777 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2007

Bottom Line:
I had a typical high-street £20 brand headphones before buying this. One day I got curious and walked into a proper hi-fi store and, after grinning from ear-ear at the Sennheiser listening post, walked out with the £80~ HD535. It was the best thing I ever heard for the price.

The music reproduction was so accurate. A popular track in my favourite genre was Sound of Blackness' 'I believe'... the HD535 delivered the bass, mid-range weight, vocals and top end - all at low and (very) high volume. Simply it was like strapping hi-fi speakers to one's head.

A keyboard/pianist myself, I've also mixed and produced with them and they quickly became my cans of choice.

As one reviewer said, 'just don't move your head'. My HD535 soon developed a short in the one ear that remained even after replacing the lead. It's a lot worse now and I will soon replace the headphones altogether with the HD555 which, at first listen, lacks the top-end of this pair.

Basically wonderful sound, but lead connection problem within the HD535 lets it down.

Purchased At:   1995

Submitted by mcattell a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2005

Bottom Line:
I purchased these headphones as I wanted to be able to apreciate my music without disturbing the neighbours. I always heard that Sennheiser were good. The headphones are very comfortable, sitting on the head snugly and isolating me from the outside quite well. The sound quality is good, balanced with the ability to handle high volume levels without distorting, particularly at the bass end. The thing that immediately bugged me was the crackling audio connection on the right hand side. This never went away but I could never be bothered to take the damn things back. I still use them but have just ordered a replacement audio lead. Hopefully that will resolve the problems.

Purchased At:   Specialist music sho

Submitted by looneycooney a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
well, i'm very happy with this headphone set ...when i had it for a year the cable did distort the sound...it wasn't strong enough..when i went back to shop (after more then a year) the immediately gave me a new cable! now few years later i haven't seen any probs . i'm very happy with it...also in the shop they say it has lifetimewaranty on cables plugs and the soundboxes in there...haven't seen 1 brand giving the same waranty..only that deserve a positive remark. and yes also mine was abused loads of times.

Purchased At:   j&r musicshop