Sennheiser HD455 Headphones

4.18/5 (11 Reviews)

Submitted by michaeljsteeves a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2006

Bottom Line:
Please check out the first two reviews written for this product - both written by be in Sept 1997 and May 1999. Here is is May 2006 and I am still using these headphone! They're nearly a DECADE OLD now and still serve me well! I used them on my home system as I feel they're a little to flimsy to be abused as portables and a little too bulky to carry around. I've just laid to rest a reasonable pair of Sony's (MDR-V300's) as portables, and replaced them with superior sounding HD 457's.

In comparing my new 457's with the 455's I honesly didn't think the new model would surpass my faithful old 455's. I was right.

Except for low bass response, the 455's slightly edged out the newer 457's across the frequency spectrum.

Purchased At:   Magic Forest (RIP) F

Submitted by Drew a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2001

Bottom Line:
I initially bought these headphones because I wanted a nice pair to listen to a portable CD player when I was going to college. Then I started using them with my home audio system, specifically with a Carver C3 preamp or a Harman Kardon CD player. I was kind of disappointed because the low end seemed a little anemic. Then I tried the phones through a headphone amplifier that I built about 10 months ago (http://headwize.com/projects/szeke1_prj.htm). Zing! That was the ticket. Not only did the headphones retain the exteme clarity and fast performance that I was used to, but the low-end bass really came into its own. Coupled with a reasonably good MOSFET headphone amp, the HD455's sound great. I can't say if the low-end problem is with the headphone or with the built in headphone amplifiers in my components, but everything sure sounds nice now!

Purchased At:   Ultimate Electronics

Submitted by Muris from Sutton Graphics a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
They play any music beautifully and as loud as you want them to play with no distortion. Just great. You are going to be fine feeding them with anything because they are very efficient and undemanding. Just buy them and revel with them forever.

Purchased At:   Downtown electronics

Submitted by Yves a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
Bought to replace the cheap earbud headphones supplied with my portable Minidisk player.

Serves its purpose well. Very comfortable and excellent sound quality compared with the stock earbud headphones.

Purchased At:   Heelas Dept Store in Reading

Submitted by Bob Klass a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
I scored these at a going out of business sale where the clerk had no clue if they were junk or what. I knew they were a value, but when I got em home I was pretty disappointed. They are easily the #3 phone in my line up (the 420's are the flatest but way too inefficient for many uses and do not isolate, and the MDR-V6's are very nice). These guys have lots of coloration in the bass. I have found, though, that this is nice for weak little portable auido devices. For this they are ideal (adding a little emphasis).

I could not recommend these to anyone. Keep looking.

Purchased At:   Audio store going out of business sale