Sennheiser HD200 Master Studio Monitoring Headphones

4.5/5 (18 Reviews)

Submitted by Will J a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2007

Bottom Line:
First note***: $130 CAD (Canadian Dollar)

Although I'm not heavy into music technology and cannot tell you what Hz my speakers run at, I know good sound when I hear it. The HD200s deliver a good amount of it at an affordable price (I bought these in Canada). The bass is great, and as I said so is sound quality. You will be able to hear flaws in MP3, AAC, etc., music however you will also pick up on details you may not have previously heard whilst using earbuds, etc. The HD200s are comfortably worn and not too bulky, however they aren't the prettiest phones on the block. The white casing is blinding and frankly annoying as you can sometimes pick up it's glow up in your peripherals -- a black model would do better --. Bass is good however using the HD200s in noisy areas -- such as subways or planes -- there is usually not enough juice to full appreciate your music whilst playing off an iPod, etc. Overall a good pair of phones.

Purchased At:   Bay-Bloor Radio

Submitted by Merdalor a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought these when I needed decent cans for nocturnal gaming, though I've been using then for almost everything. Since I've bought them I've been using them even during the day, instead of my speakers. No burn-in is necessary, I haven't really heard an improvement and I've been using them for almost a year now.
Though these certainly are NOt the best cans around, coming from earbuds is a huge leap forward. I heard things in songs I never heard before, like breathing, nearly unnoticable samples, and ALL flaws in MP3's. You simply can't listen to 128Kbit MP3's or even 256Kbit Xing encoded ones, you NEED at least 160Kbit Fraunhofer, though the ideal seems to be max quality 64-320Kbit variable bitrate.

They produce a booming bass, you can even feel the pressure, however they can also produce a loud humm, muffling the sound completely. This depends on what you're feeding them. If you already boost bass with an equalizer, you'll only hear that, so don't.
They can be powered by an MD/Disc/Walkman, though you really shouldn't be using them that way, they really appreciate an amplifier, and you will too. They produce a slight hiss, which you'll only hear at high volumes and when listening to silence actually.
Sound stage isn't great, because of the closed-back design, but then again these cans are quite cheap.
They are certainly the lightest I've ever felt, in the store I thought I was holding the empty box. They are very comfortable and you could be wearing them all day if it weren't for the...
SWEATING!!! They are INCREDIBLY warm, so be sure to drink a lot to avoid dehydratation.
Next, the looks.
They are really awfull actually, and look extremely cheap.

Unfortunately a while ago, the left side starting rattling when trying to produce heavy bass. I could have taken advantage of the warranty, if I just could find that freakin' peace of paper!!!

I'm gonna buy something a bit sturdier now, probably the HD-570, Grado SR-80 or the Panasonic RP HT1000.

If you want cheap cans, but also great sound, you won't be disappointed with these. I'd rate these 5 stars out of 5, but since they failed me after only 1 year I'm going to give them only 4, but don't let that turn you down.

Purchased At:   FNAC

Submitted by Flanger a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
When I did buy these great headphones
I didn't know excactly what I will get,
but for now I've tested some other
Sennheiser's headphones (more expensive
ones)and I could say - obviously I've found what I wanted. These ones have
pure and low bass,clear mids & highs,
good soundstage.

Purchased At:   Local dealer

Submitted by Joe K a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
The Sennheiser HD 200 is an overall excellent headphone. Its closed design shuts out noise effectively. Living in NYC and going down the street listening to a walkman this is a great advantage. Very lightweight construction a plus. The overall sound is very good. Slightly bright high, good mid, and very good bass for a sennheiser. This particular headphone has a design advantage over many of the other sennheisers I have owned in the past. The extension cord is clipped. Instead of breaking the connection inside the phone when the cord is pulled or wound too tightly-n it unclips. This headphone should last a long time. The one disadvantage is the closed design will make your ears sweat in humid or hot conditions.

Submitted by Nick a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
I picked up a pair of these headphones the other day to use whilst drumming and i can say that they're absolutely fantastic. They drown out the sound of my extremely loud drums well so i dont have to turn the volume up in them too high and i can protect my ears but i can still hear my drums well. At the hi fi shop where i bought them i compared these with the sennheiser 500s and 570s and although i was after a closed design they sounded very poor compared to these 200s which were far far cheaper as well, half the price. I think this is because of their closed design and focus on bass. The 500s and 570s in comparison sounded too tinny and i had to turn the volume up on them higher to get a half decent sound. I didnt notice any improvement in accuracy in the 570s or 500s. The build qualiy on these is not what you'd expect for a $AUS159 pair of headphones, they are exactly like something you'd pick up at radio shack they are that cheap looking. I understand that they're a lightweight design but they still are far too plasticy and not rugged enough. For this price they should be able to make them of the same build quality as the sennheiser 25s for sure. They do a great job for what i require but i have to treat them very carefully because of their poor build quality. Try them and im sure you'll be blown away by the phenomenal sound quality u get for the price.

Purchased At:   sydney hi fi