Sennheiser HD 490 Headphones

3.07/5 (44 Reviews)

Open-aire hi-fi stereo headphone

Submitted by Archaea a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
Don't buy these over similar priced retail models, for 30 bucks they are a deal, but I would reccomend the hd497 over the 490's, or a pair of sony cans, or a pair of Denon can's in the same range. These hd490's have wonderful clarity and highs, but distorted bass.

Submitted by Eric a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
I guess previous reviews have established that these phones should not be used on discmans/walkmans. I had bought a pair of Sony CD380s which I used for about 6 months. They impressed me at first but their semi-closed design tended to give
me a sensation of pressure in the ears. Luckily for me, they developed a slight defect (nothing serious, not to downgrade them) and the electronics store chain where I bought them let me trade them in for the Sennheiser 490s.(Two really cool salesmen in my local store!) I've only been using them for 2 days but their sound is impressive. I just can't understand the complaints about boomy bass but maybe that's because I use them on my home stereo (Marantz 6000 OSE amp with 50 watts/channel, very-low distortion, Philips 723 CD player with high quality interconnects). I've been reading reviews of the Sennheiser 497s, which seem to get better reviews than the 490s, BUT. . .a lot of people seem unhappy with the comfort factor with the 497s. Whereas, the 490s are extremely comfortable (I've had them on for 4 hours tonight and still don't feel any discomfort). The sound quality is very good (much better than the Sonys, which had more impressive bass but were quite lifeless). I can't get Grados in France, but once again, some people seem to find the 60s a little uncomfortable so I'm not tempted to try to order them from the states.
These are very respectable cans for a home stereo. And hey, aren't headphones a little like shoes? What good is excellent quality if you can't wear them more than 2 hours?

Purchased At:   Darty

Submitted by T L a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
Just pick it up today.
AT $9.99 what a bargain.
Great sounds. Great for plug directly
in to front of cd players.Sit back
and listen to Sade. I will keep it just
for that easy music.

Purchased At:   Fry's Electronics

Submitted by Archaea a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2002

Bottom Line:
Don't buy...simply...there are better headphones...For 30 bucks they are OK, but not spectacular, highs sound clear to me, and vocals are good, but they don't like hitting decent volumes without distortion. My friend has the Sennheiser 535's and they are a LOT better. I've read that the HD-497s are a lot better to for only about 10 bucks more retail.

Submitted by Audioman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have a comment to make: if the HD 490 are badly placed on your ears you will not be able really to appreciate them. When they are positioned too high on your ears, you hear much of boomy bass and little medium and high, on the other hand, when they are placed at the good position, i.e. lowest possible, they are well.

Sennheiser: