Koss Porta Pro Jr. Headphones

4.45/5 (11 Reviews)

headphone

Submitted by Mikey Mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2007

Bottom Line:
One of the best headphones for the price.

Submitted by anthony crawford a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2006

Bottom Line:
i bought koss porta pro to replace.
a pair of ban & olfsen headphones i did not like.the porta pros cost less than
the bang &olfsens.i also own a pair of grado 80s,
but i prefer the koss porta pros for portable use.with my sony hi mat mini disc player.the porta pros sound so good as my grados? no cigar!.
remember grado 80s are to big for actual portable use.
the pros are perfect for portable use.
buy these they are super .

Purchased At:   the apple store

Submitted by Chris a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
Hi folks,

I got the PRO-45 from RS, which to my understanding is a Koss Porta Pro Jr. I've only had it for a few hours and I'm not very happy with it. I'm comparing it to a $10 KOSS KSC10 which sounds much better to me. The KSC10 is also a bit lighter and more comfortable, which is ironic because I bought the PRO-45 because I expected it to be more comfortable due to the adjustable band.

The main problem I have is that the PRO-45 sounds muffled when compared to my KSC10 which sounds much more breezy and has a nice crispness to it. Also the bass is just way too much for my taste, it's all I can hear throughout the song.. and becomes painful even with lower volume and bass settings. I'd be really happy with the KSC10 but for the fixed band which makes it difficult to rest your head on a pillow because it is too large, also the band's stiffness makes the pad's position hard to adjust for a good seal.

Not sure what I'm going to do, but I believe I will take the PRO-45 back. Maybe I'll just put some foam on the KSC10 to make it more comfortable. The more I play with these two, the more I appreciate the KSC10 which for $10 is a heck of a good pair. I think I'll try to twist the pads overnight and see if I can line them up better.

Purchased At:   Radio Shaft

Submitted by Charles Tweedy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
OK everyone, I went shoping for a headphone just like you guys. Although there are differences in headphones, $100 and below will not contain much difference as the manufacturer would have you believe. The technology is there to make great phones cheap. Seems gimmicks are the stay of the day (remember those rare magnets in the 80's?), and now the pretty colors. Gona goo goo ga ga over colors and how you got the neat rare magnets?, or are you gonna listen to it? The most useful invention to date has been the behind the head headband! I always wanted to to that to my old phones! The specs are impressive at 15-25,000. The human ear can hear 20-20, but if your 31 like me, 25-15 is more like it, lol. The bass is stunning and defined and the highs are not shrill and nasty. The phones are comfortable and efficient. Unless you can spend $250 for Grados, then you will not notice the $ difference. I use them for my HIPZIP MP3 player and my port cd player. These things are just plain wonderful for $30. If you cant find them from a major dealer, RADIO SHACK markets these under the PRO45 model. The plug even says KOSS. They tend to be cheaper there also. Surely you have a RAT SHACK? Now get off your butt and take our advice, and save a load of cash for some wine or something, ok?

Purchased At:   Radio Shack

Submitted by Laurence a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
These pair of headphones are in there 5th year of use...and are still bumpin' strong. I bought The Porta Pro Jr. in 1996 for use on everyday CD players, and they have outlasted 3 CD players to date! To give u an idea of how tough these cans are...I Jog with them, SWEAT on them, SLEEP on them, steped and sat on them, Crushed them in school backpacks, lend them to friends, and traveled with them. Now tell me, how many headphones could withstand so much moisture, abuse, and time as these.
The only time i had problems was around the 4th year of use. The right driver started to crap out on me, the wires began to fray because i have a habit of chewing on them when studying, and the plug started to come off from years of tugging and pulling during my workouts. But not to worry. THE LIFETIME WARRENTY is rock solid, if you don't believe me go to their website and call up customer service. They will be glad to take them back no matter what you have done to them...and they will replace it for 5 measly dollars in exactly 3 weeks. I returned them once and it came back BRAND NEW. They said they couldn't repair it so they gave me a new one. UNBELIEVABLE!!!
Now about the sound...with any CD player, your listening standards will match those of studio quality and build. I listen to a variety ranging from Classical, to Jazz, to Gangster Rap, and Techno. The Bass is Well balanced, ROBUST, and tight with definition. The midrange is unbelievable crip and precise, especially with classical music. And the Treble is crystal clear and SMOOTH. The experience is like listening to a 3000 dollar home theater from Mirage speakers...i know cuz i have one! Usually headphones are heavy on bass and heavy on treble and lack midrange...This headphone does it all!!! Regular headphones usually lack definition and are sometimes made JUST TO MAKE NOISE.
OH! another feature that may interest you is it's ability to detach it's headphone drivers from its headband. I have repeatedly removed these drivers so that i may share them among my friends @ college and they are amazed at the sound by just one driver! They have never broke on my from this type of use either...so don't worru about taking this baby apart, it'll just snap back together!

Just like how Boston Acoustics specialize on speaker making and how BMW specialize on top notch sport sedans...THe Koss company ONLY specialized on protable audio equipment and mainly on headphones...so you know that this headphone is made for quality. Visit their site today! www.Koss.com

Purchased At:   Local electronic store