Grado SR-40 Headphones

Headphone

Submitted by mats a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bought them from Hifi.huset, Sweden. Good package incl extra contact to fit a receiver as well as portable units. Simple construction, quite nice to watch, and feels quite comfortable to wear.
The bass is solid, mid and high register gives me more music never heard before via the Dali 103 loudspeakers. Got a Yamaha receiver but will change to a newly bought Denon 375 RD receiver.
At first, the earphones gave me a chocking boomy sound but after useing it for 1-2 hours it seemed to get used to Roxy Music, Springsteen and Stones, different kind of soul music all on vinyl. Much better now.
400 SEK is quite a good value, indeed.
The earphones work out very well but weren´t (as Springsteen would have written) born to run. Just for home listening or at the gym, during travelling of course.

Submitted by tabbas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2004

Bottom Line:
I already own the Sennheiser Hd600 and the Sony CDR 1700.Both are big headphones
and I needed a smaller pair.I walked into the shop and fully expected to come out
with a pair of cheaper Sennheisers.I then noticed this pair for sale at £20.
The shop keeper told me that because the packaging was damamged they were on
sale for that price - I think the usual price is £45.

Because of the price, and Grado's good name, I decided to purchase them.

The build quality is a bit cheap and plasticy but none the less solid and light.

Sound quality :-

I was genuinely surprised at the quality and depth of the bass.
Its there in oodles and incredibly rich.A definate plus point.

The treble is fine at a medium volume but
does get harsh and tiresome at higher levels.

What lets these headphones down is the mid-range - its too upfront and glaring.
When I listen to music via my pc and Winamp I have to utilize the graphic equalizer
to reduce the mid-range glare.

I'm really hoping since I've only had the product for a week that this will
become more balanced once worn in.

Overall, for £20, I am happy with these headphones.Its worth buying for the bass
alone.

Purchased At:   Local Hifi Shop

Submitted by Mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
I found these to be excellent cans. I used them for the first time on an overseas flight and I couldn't be happier. I see that some have said uncomfortable but I didn't find that to be an issue at all. I wore them for about 8 hours straight and not once did I even think about them being hot or uncomfortable. I alos own the SR-60's and I find the SR-40's to be very comparable in sound. I just find the SR-60's to be a bit large for traveling.

Purchased At:   Sound City

Submitted by peter a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
great headphone for the price. Not quite as comfortable as grado 60 but sound almost as good. bass not real strong but very clean and don't rattle with megabass like koss sportapro, etc. Excellent with treble intensive music like trance. nice kick drum sounds.

Purchased At:   yahoo.com

Submitted by Daniel Huber a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
I needed a new pair of headphones as my RadioShack headphones had been damaged by an overzealous user (thanks Dad!) and I was looking to get a good replacement. I decided to skip the lesser names and go straight to the high-end stuff. Odd part was that these cost as much as the RadioShack model (I got mine with a 50% sale, though, for $20) but they're better.

I didn't notice a dramatic difference between the RadioShack and Grado models but I noticed that the Grado's OK bass definition was superior to that of the RadioShack 'phones. The connector and cord were a bit more rugged and I love the one-sided connection designs; no tangling there! As well, these phones played louder with less power showing their efficiency. They are also much more stable at higher volumes. The RadioShack models tended to resonate themselves to bluriness.

Overall, for $40, there's nothing like 'em! I was surprised to find any other SR-40 users as most go right to the SR-60 but I didn't have the cash on me at the time and these suited me enough at the time of purchase.

Sennheiser: