AKG Acoustics K 401 Closed Headphones

4.25/5 (4 Reviews)

Powerful headphones for jazz and rock music styles. The varimotion system serves for a clean, detailed performance.

Submitted by Phil Canard a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2007

Bottom Line:
Of all the AKG headphones you could own, this is certainly one of them.

Submitted by donbagley a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2006

Bottom Line:
These are the K400s, and I've been using them for about 17 years now. They have great sound--rich for a headphone--and obviously they are durable. AKGs do take some extra power. If you can drive them directly from a headphone amp or a receiver, do so. They don't do well with the little op amps on the front of playback decks. I like that you can really hear the bass with these, and the full-sized enclosure is wonderful for comfort--I've fallen asleep with these on many times. It's interesting to wake up to loud music at three a.m.!

Purchased At:   Good Guys

Submitted by rjespo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
I'm writing this review to share my personal experience with the AKG 401's, which seems to be different than that of most others. For the months that I have been listening to my 401's, I have only gotten a taste and a glimpse of what they are capable of, but it seems I have never actually gotten to enjoy a song. Anything with a strong bass line in it causes distortion when I use these headphones, and this happens invariably no matter what source I plug my headphones into. I mostly listen on my computer, but have also tried receivers, mini systems, my iPod, and headphone outs on my computer speakers.

The simple conclusion is that I need to buy a headphone amp, but surprisingly, I have not read any reviews that state this as a necessity. I believe that it is a necessity with this pair of headphones unless you are going to listen to a capella music and instrumentals.

Purchased At:   Headroom.com

Submitted by Aron a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have listened to all the major players in the headphone game. some are better but cost double or more than the 401, these are the best in their price range though.

The sound is great for all types of listening. These cans are very detailed. The AKG brought out much more material when compared to others in their price range. Their studio heritage is found within their tonal balance. AKG headphones add very little to the sound. Some may think this a weakness because the sound may not be as full as expected, it is just what is being fed to them.

The fit is very comfortable.

The load is difficult. My Linn pre is just adequate for driving them.

Purchased At:   Target HiFi