AKG Acoustics K-26P Headphones

• Fabulous sound
  • High quality headphones
  • Effective attenuation of ambient noise
  • Portable MP3 MD, CD players and Multimedia

Submitted by Borka a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2005

Bottom Line:
Look
The headphones are made of plastic, except for the metallic headband. They are definetly not the most attractive looking headphones but I guess that's a matter of taste really. I'm just happy that they dont look like the Koss Porta Pro. So in short, they look OK.

Feel
The headphones feel more sturdy than they look. They are also very light which is a plus when using them with a portable audio device like an Ipod. They are not the most comfortable headphones. I'm comparing them to my philips HP890 which are full sized so that's not really a fair comprarison but if we're talking comfort, these are decent. The preassure applied to your ears by the headphones is really nothing much to complain about but as I said. You can find more comfortable headphones if you wanna go full size.

Sound
The sound is surprisingly good. Especially when considering the pricetag. I've tried the "cousin" of this pair of headphones, the Koss porta pro and personally i think that the AKG headphones have a more neutral sound. The porta pros are known for having great bass and indeed the bass is a little less dominant in the AKG but for that matter they are absolutely not bass-less. I'd say that they have more thump and less oomph... if that makes sense :) I listen to alot of bass heavy music like hip hop, rock, and "techno" and these are by no means bad but again, compared to full sized headphones they dont have the richness of bigger headphones. The treble is very nice and the midrange is acceptable. If you are one of those who likes to listen to LOUD music these are definetly your thing. I'd be surprised if you bought these and said that they couldnt play loud enough. So in short, these headphones have a very well balanced neutral sound and can play all sorts of music.

Price
When I was looking for headphones, price wasnt really an issue. I had a budget of $200 US and I still ended up buying these for less than 60$. Why you ask? Because these headphones are more suitable for the ipod than, let's say, the Sennheiser HD555 (full sized headphones). The Sennheisers are excellent and with a headphone amp they kick some serious rear-ends but with a portable audio device, the price tag doesn't justify the performance. I paid about 60 dollars for these but if you are picky about pricing, you can probably find an even better deal.

Conclusion

If you are looking for a pair of mid-sized headphones with great sound for a very reasonable price. I gladly recommend these. They are perfect for the ipod nano. If you've thought about buying Koss Porta Pro's (or similar headphones), then also go down to the hi-fi store and try listening to these. They are worth the effort!

Purchased At:   A local hifi store

Submitted by tsaelee a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2005

Bottom Line:
I had decided on getting Sennheiser PX100 instead but got this one as an accident. I'm not sure what the difference is between PX100 and AKG 26P. Anyway, I received this just couple of days ago and been listening to it every chance I get. It is a "closed" design so no noise comes from outside. It is quite impressive, the sound reproduction is accurate and warm. It is little "bassy" and when at high volume, bass is little muddy, but at normal volume it is tight. The highs is quite good, not too bright and not over emphasized. The mids is okay but wished reproduction little warmer. Overall, I can't say I'm impressed, but it is definitely better than what comes with standard portable MP3 player. What I was hoping for was little more "volume" (as in space or 3D type ambiance) and not "flat". This is definitely a good mid-priced headphone.

Purchased At:   HeadRoom