Creek Audio OBH-11SE Headphone Amplifiers

4.21/5 (14 Reviews) MSRP : $350.00

Headphone Amplifier w/ 2 Jacks

Submitted by SennFan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2005

Bottom Line:
I bought this amp in order to have a dedicated head amp and bypass the rest of my system. Usually the head sections of many receivers is an after thought and it shows when you plug in a ncie set of headphones. Immediately I noticed a difference through my 600s. Not only did listening fatigue no longer become an issue but the overall soundstage improved and listening at all volumes achieved a certain level of clarity seen on few other head amps. The upgraded Creek brick power supply, although big is neccessary and gives the unit ample power to spare. The two head inputs are nice, but I've never used both simultaneously. However, I have found that one sounds better than the other (2), much more clarity and overall bass response is tighter. Highly recommend, you will not be disappointed.

Submitted by Dave a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
Very happy with this unit. when purchasing it i half thought i would not be able to tell the difference using the amp or just the headphone jack on the source, espeically since i'm not using top of the line headphones (grado SR-80). i was pleasantly surprised that music does indeed sound better through the amp, thought admittedly it matters more on some songs than others.

build quality is excellent, i'm very happy with it overall. now i have an excuse to buy better headphones...

Purchased At:   used online

Submitted by Cary Watmore a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is the upgraded/revised B-version (the ones with a B in the serial no) of the OBH 11 SE. Too some bruning in - about 3 days continuous use before the sound opened up with the Grado RS-1. Then tried it with a Sennheiser HD580 and the sound was still great. Did not miss the crossfeed that the Headroom amps had and it cost less!! :-)
a

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor

Submitted by BirgerC a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
I use the product together with the OBH 1. It came with the amplifier at no extra cost. I had expected it to be delivered with the OBH 2 from the description at Creek homepage but I probably misunderstood what was written there.
I use it together with Stax SR-Sigma via a SRD-X box with AC adaptor (no batteries) or Sennheiser RS 85 and tried it, just for fun, with Sony MDR-E818. For reference I used Denon AVR-2700 Phones out.
To me both the output from Denon and Creek is satisfactory (I can enjoy both) with a slight advantage to the Creek. It seems to be a bit more spacious and with a little softer sound without getting mushy.

Purchased At:   Tape Connection

Submitted by Stephen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
Performed A/B comparison between OBH-11SE and Grado RA1 amp and found that the Grado had more bass and better low-end resolution. The Creek had two output jacks for doing A/B testing on two sets of headphones, or for another listener. I thought that this was a nice addition and something other amps don't have. I didn't think the Creek's sound was as clean as the Grado. (Maybe because the Grado uses two 9-volt batteries instead.) The Creek was very capable at driving my Senn HD600 headphones, whereas with the Grado, I did have to turn the volume know up a little more. (But this didn't seem to matter since I didn't get any noticable distortion with the Grado's volume up more. Actually, for my listening level, I had the Creek turned up half-way, but had to turn the Grado up 3/4 of the way to drive the HD600 for a particular song.) After getting used to the Grado amp, the Creek setup was a bit of a turn-off since it was powered with line AC and came with a power supply that was twice the size of the amp itself. However, since the amp also allowed the listener to insert the it between two components (had an "in" and an "out"), this made up for it. The Creek does not lend itself to travelling nearly as well as the battery-powered Grado amp. Lastly, which one looked the best? If a set of RS1 headphones are resting atop the Grado RA1 amp, then the Grado amp looks the best. Otherwise, the Creek looks the best and has a nicer volume control knob and on/off switch.

Overall, the Creek is not a bad amp.

Sound, I'd give it a 3.5 - 4.0
Value, I'd give it a 4.0 since it does more than the Grado (which I'd give a 4.5)

Sennheiser: