Zenith Allegro
Description: 2-way with 10" woofer and 2 inch horn tweeter

Submitted by Blane Nye a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2014

Bottom Line:
My folks bought the original system in the seventies and now those four speakers are in each corner of my garage, connected to a Sony Pro-logic receiver and Sony 51 disk CD changer. I'm absolutely thrilled with the sound, the emblem is spring loaded and can be rotated into whatever orientation you position the speakers. These speakers sound superb, I'm so grateful for the early inheritance and thank my folks weekly for these old beauties!

Submitted by michael garrison a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2013

Bottom Line:
I previously owned a pair of the allegro 3000s that I picked up at a flee.mkt. Many audiophiles write off allegros as junk. I think they are highly underrated. I enjoyed the 3000s but always thought there was something missing in the mids. This week I came across a pair of 300s( at goodwill) which have the same foster horn, a 6 or 7 " rola woofer and a 3 1/2 " rola midrange. Now the mids are there in spades. In fact these speakers have some of the best mids I've heard regardless of price. The balance between the highs and mids is wonderful. The bass isn't as big as the 3000s but is still satisfying and faster than the 3000s and I don't notice that they are ported.Imaging is quite sharp and open though not as deep as the best.
Audiophiles need to take a listen to these and not judge them because they don't have the best cabinets or use ultra expensive parts. These are overall one of the best and most satisfying speakers I've heard.

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2012

Bottom Line:
I have a Zenith Allegro ( The Wedge ) stereo system model GR596W, which is the one with the 8 Track recorder deck. This system simulates 4 channel with a front / rear speaker matrx with which Ive connected original Allegro 3000 speakers across the room and Allegro 1000s concealed under my chrome endtables . I was 14 years old when this system was sold new. ( the 8 track nonrecording model went for 399.99 /// 1350.00 plus in todays dollars! ) These speakers are mellow and deep. Truly amazing, at low volume levels , you feel the sound. At higher , my nieghbors would probably call the cops. Im an armchair enthusiast I know but as far as vintage electronics go the Allegro product line from Zenith is grossly underated. Screw Weltron, they sound terrible next to my Zenith and I have several all in great shape. The Wedge was one of the last handmade, made in America systems sold. The unit cabinet and speaker cabinets have that vintage Woody Allens Sleeper look to them , with discrete chrome trim on the Allegro Ports, which have spring loaded emblems to pull out n turn for vertical or sideways applications, and very well made boxes. The Allegro port was introduced in 1973-74. In 1980 ' the port was still there but Zenith redesigned the exteriors of all their " component " style systems and what had been a stand out design period ended with the same generic box look of their competitors.

Submitted by fiddler a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2012

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair of the Allegro 3000s at a flea market recently for $60, more than I really wanted to pay but they looked different than other ones that I have seen. These have a full grill cloth with the nameplate on the lower right corner, not the expected top right corner port open plate.The cabnets are pretty decent, well stapled in the back and with spring connecters in the back. Perhaps these were a late version that were better made than some of the earlier models I've read about. I noticed the horn and I thought Zenith used a horn? I did a little research on these babies and read about the Alnico woofers and Foster horns. Interesting... I listened to them there on a really cheap system and heard some promising possibilities, so I bought them. After hooking them up to my little 60's Dynaco st-35, an EL-84 based integrated tube amp with a mere 17 watts/channel(but don't let that fool you, they have a big rich sound) I couldn't believe what I was hearing.Their high sensitivity mated perfect with the Dyna. I also tried it with a 65 watt Denen receiver. It sounded nice with the Denon but it is a match made in heaven with the Dyna. From Shatachovich string quartets, full orchestra symphonies, small and big jazz, Merle Haggard to gospel choirs, you don't want to stop listening. These got to be on of the most underated speakers especially with the right amp. Well, I think I'll go back to listening.

Submitted by Old Rusty a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2009

Bottom Line:
Picked up these beauties at a garage sale for $5 each. Bought 'em because my old pal Bing had a set back in the day & we cranked the #### out of them with 'The Who' etc. Took 'em home & hooked 'em up. Not too shabby! I could not believe how beautiful the high frequencies came across. Had a pair of big 3foot, 60 pound Diatone towers with blown tweeters, so I cannibalized the Allegro's for the tweets. Lo-and-behold: a massively beautiful Foster 16 ohm horn tweeter was inside the Allegro cabinet!

One quick swap-out & a listening test was next: Mahalia Jackson on Columbia vinyl! Outstanding! Soft & sweet, delicate yet room-filling, detailed yet blah, blah, blah...All I can say is this: I will be on the hunt for more Allegro's. Those Foster tweets are unreal...BOOYAA!!!!!