Whatmough Monitors C-30
Description: 3-way floorstanding. 2 x 170mm Cellulose fibre Bass/Mid driver.25mm Ferro Fluid cooled soft dome Tweeter.

Submitted by Sx a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
I was at the local Polk dealer checking out the Polk RTi70. I liked the refined sound of the RTi70. But the AU$2200 price tag was outside my budget of AU$1500. The sales person suggested that I audion the Whatmough C31 at A1 Audio and I might like them. I loved them after I heard the first note of music from them. Better than the RTi70 at AU$1200 less.

Purchased At:   A1 Audio, Melbourne

Submitted by jonbee a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the Magnum HT system, which consists of the M30 towers, M10 surround, and M05 Center.
My musical tastes are very eclectic. I use my system for both video and audio. My main system is a $20K retail system that I have put together over many years. I prize clarity, soundstaging, dynamics and speed over warmth and euphonics.
I own 4 stereos, and don't really need more, but at the price offered this system was something I couldn't refuse to check them out. The speakers are made in China, and designed by a long time Australian designer.
The cabinets are built like most modestly priced speakers, comparable to Axiom, Sound Dynamics, and NHT. The vinyl veneer is as good as any, and the overall finish is as good as any in this price range. The speakers use a coated fabric woofer cone, with no foam surrounds(good!), and cloth dome tweeters.
I was most pleasantly surprised to find they are very neutral, pretty detailed, with an overall very smooth and well integrated sound. They play fairly loudly. All the models here have very similar voicing.

I actually prefer them to the NHT 1.5, Sound Dynamics RTS3, and Axiom M3ti and M22ti(all of which I've owned). Although they all have strengths and weakness, I find the smooth, detailed top end easier to listen to, while the mids are generally comparable. What you give up compared to more expensive true high end speakers is the inner voice separation and clarity. While very good for the price, the inner voices sound veiled, blurry, and indistinct compared to my $2k plus VMPS 626R ribbons (not surprisingly). There is also a bit of midbass emphasis, which also tends to blur the lower mids. I'm experimenting with adding some dacron stuffing, which seems to help matters.
They have no nasty flaws, though, and are easy and enjoyable on the ears, something you usually don't get for the $ that these are offered at. Very tough to beat for the $, IMO.

Purchased At:   A-gon

Submitted by wgraft a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
Hello Everyone:
First, after reading all the reviews from here in the states and from down-under, I am amazed at all the expertise from individuals who do not own, never have owned, nor probably will ever own a Whatmough speaker. (Shame on you Mr. Bennett for your diatribe, when you attempted to fight someone over something that quite frankly is none of your business.........not to mention that you have not even listened to the speakers....
Second..I own a pair of 303's, a pair of 302's and a pair of the P11 monitors. I was one of the first in the US to buy these fantastic speakers from A. Sportis and have been very pleased with them ever since. Another point is that I have spoken with Albert probably 30-40 times over the past two years, and have found him to be very knowledgeable, willing to help and stands behind his 30 warranty...I consider him to be one of the better dealers in the high-end audio business....
Third...I have found that good power, from a good power amp is not necessary for the 303's to sound good, however, the better the power, the better the speakers. I have used Krell, Rowland, Dynaco Mk VI's (120W monos), Aragon and Red Rose by Levinson. I presently use around 200W in stereo from my amp and the speakers get great raves when my friends are over.....Yes, they do not have a lot of bass, but what can you expect from an 8" driver. The bass is very tight and lifelike, which is what a true audiophile is seeking...I have been to many concerts and do not ever remember the lower reigster notes on the piano sounding like a subwoofer...I sold a pair of Aerial 10-T's after auditioning the 303's, so this should tell you a little about the musically quality of the speakers.

Purchased At:   chicago, Il

Submitted by ndavid a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
Last week, I happened to drive pass the Whatmough retail store in Melb, Australia. With a little curiosity I walked in to see what they have. My little curiosity quickly turned into one of the most enjoyable experience I have ever had talking to a true technician, music enthusiast and a real nice man. To my embarrasment, the person I first thought was a salesman turned out to be Colin Whatmough himself and he talked with passion and enthusiasm about the Whatmough speakers. He showed me the whole range of products from the Audiolabs series to the flagship monitor series explaining their design and letting me listen to them. I was truly impressed that he spent more than an hour with me eventhough I was clearly not planning to buy anything. He even gave me a number of tips to improve the system I have. I have absolutely no difficulty recommending Colin and his products.

Submitted by John BURKE a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
Unlike Dan Bennett, I do not regard myself as a pivotal member of the online hifi community, however his ridiculous exchange with Colin Whatmough has gone on long enough.

Dan, our country has a well-developed loudspeaker industry, albeit one based around European drivers built into immaculate Aussie cabinets. Whatmough is no exception, and the impression I get of Colin W. from the retailers who represent him is that he is a perfectionist who would not put his name on any product that was second-rate.

This is a man with an encyclopedic knowledge of speaker engineering, who rightfully feels that he owes you NO APOLOGY for some vague pricing discrepancy overseas.

Furthermore, what is your problem with prices in Australian dollars? With current exchange rates, AU$999 is approx. $650 US which would be a steal for a product of this quality.

Do us all a favour and don't undermine the credibility of this fine Forum site again. One of the more down-market HT sites may be more to your liking.

JB