Wharfedale Opal 100
Description: 6.6" (165mm) Bass/Mid 2 x 165mm Bass 2 x 165mm ABR 25mm Soft Dome Tweeter

Submitted by mjarve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
I originally bought a set of these in 2001, but I kept them only a few weeks before trading them up for a set of Emerald 97s. But, recently, my mother gave me the task of finding a set of speakers for her. They had to match the following criteria: 1)They had to match her decor. 2)They had to be able to go quite loud, but still sound good. 3)The footprint could be no larger than her dictionary. The Opal 100's fit that bill perfectly. I went to our local hi-fi delarship, and found that they were going out of business. The Opals were on the sales floor, marked down from $599.00 to $199.00. Now I know that probaly no one reading this would have paid nearly $600 for these speakers, but these were not the used or refurbished units sold on popular aution sites, but the real "A-Stock" full retail versions of these speakers. I connected them to my mother's JVC RX-778 Dolby Digital reciever (also reviewed well on this site) and let her rip. I have to say I was very inpressed (in a good way) and am now on my way to see if I can buy another set before this store closes. Thank you, and good bye North Star Stereo in Hibbing.

Purchased At:   Local Dealership

Submitted by Kenny P a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have a review down there some where. I bi-amped them from the get go. I was lacking something in the odd room that I have to fill. I got a pair of Vandersteen 1b's on a deal and used them as my mains. They worked much better in my room. I moved the Opals to my back room and Bi-amped them also. I am using them as a near near field set. 8' apart and pointed at me. This is so nice. I am listening to them right now. At this range I have to turn the bass down on that amp. This is so cool. Screw those computer speakers. This is a quality piece of goods if you can still get them at bargain prices. OOh but those Vandersteen's with a quality amp. Delight

Submitted by Matthew Mayes a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
Got these as a Steel from Ebay, $245 shipped. Looked around and saw these were the best bang for the buck, I was right. When I got them, I immediatly hooked them up and started breaking them in at low volume levels. Within 3 hours I could feed them as much power as my Pioneer reciever can put out. Bi-amp or Bi-wire setup is great, right now I am running a 4 ohm load (can be a 8 ohm). I noticed with the Loudness on and the bass at the middle position the speakers reached max excursion. But turning down the bass as you turn up the volume worked perfectly.

Like all other tower speakers with 6.5" bass drivers, these are not shakers. I will probaly look into getting a JBL, NHT, or Velodyne sub to bring in the real bass. I will also look into the Opal Center channel speaker. If any of you have one let me know what you think about it. Excellent Speaker.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Scott Brooks a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
these sound great out of the box.... theyll sound even better after they break in..... cant beat em for the price... watch out for ubid high shipping though

Purchased At:   ubid

Submitted by Jim Kelly a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was at first very schepitical about buying these speakers based on what I heard about Wharfedale Speakers.

Well, these speakers are great. And considering I only paid $300.00 including shipping, these speakers are hard to beat.

I will retire my AR9's to my bedroom.

My speakers came in Wallnut and look great.

5's all the way!