Usher RW-729
Description: <ul> <li>Sensitivity:87dB 1watt/1m</li> <li>Nominal impedance:8ohms</li> <li>Frequency response(-3dB):38Hz~28kHz</li> <li>Power handling:80watts</li> <li>Crossover frequencies:2.2kHz</li> <li>Dimensions(wxdxh):23cmx44cmx39cm</li> </ul>

Submitted by listening a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2005

Bottom Line:
I am surprised that I am the first to list a review for these speakers. Usher Audio presents great quality speakers with a minimal investment. I have been looking for a pair of monitors for the bedroom for just casual listening but I enjoy the quality of the sound with it. The Usher RW729 were not the exact speaker I was looking for at first, but some how I stumbled on to this pair. I have looked at monitors from the Wilson Benesch Arc to the Totem Acoustic Monitors. My wife like the wood look so the Ushers were a plus. I wish I had the option of getting the darker color but with demos you don't get much choice.

The build quality is phenomenal for a speaker of this price. Each speaker weighs somewhere around 25 to 30 pound each. They are solidly built with wood finish surrounding the whole speaker not just the side wood panels. The speaker connections are easy to work with and hefty. There was alot of thought put into the parts used to construct these speakers by the design team.

Sound quality was impressive. It was a very detailed rich sound once the volume was turned up. The bass was strong and present but not overpowering. Perfect for a small to medium bedroom. I was impressed with the detail. I listen to alot of acoustic guitar pieces and the strumming and plucking of the guitar strings were not muddy or blurred. Each was distinct and clear, I believe if I used a better component system with more power that it would improve even more. But it was still moving. The highs and mids were ideal for the set up we have in the bedroom. It could have used more bass support if they were to be used for more critical listening. It seems the cabinet contruction and design were favorable for the drivers used.

Overall, I enjoy these speakers and they are perfect for my current situation. I would recommend solid state components with some power. Even though these speakers are rated at 80 watts the extra current would help, they are not as efficient as I would have liked. I'll have to try and hook them up to my main system to see if they make marked improvement. Check the Usher Audio lineup they have some great looking and sounding speakers. No I am not a dealer! Someday I hope to compare these to the Usher CP777.

Purchased At:   demo