Totem Acoustic Tabu

Submitted by Response a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
Let me start out by stating I am an Audio Dealer but I am NOT a Totem dealer.
I have some used Tabu's around and received a call one day from a customer who wanted me to try these speakers out with a lower power amplifier. OK, I have a 30 wpc slightly modified Jolida JD301 running that I can use.

After the first couple of songs from Eva Cassidy's new "Imagine" CD, I was extreamly suprised by the results. Eva was in my room. Her guitar sounded like a guitar, the bass was much more coherent than I would have expected from 30 watts into these 85dB speakers and her voice was as real as I have heard on any system.
I am actually running a pair of Totem Staffs in my system at the moment (again, I am not a Totem dealer) and I may have to keep the other pair of Tabus for myself.
If you have a smaller room and are not looking for concert levels, these speakers do not require as much power as people think. A higher current amp will bring out more control and deeper bass, easily into the 40s such as I experienced with my 200 watt Jolida tube monoblocs.

Submitted by Marko Koskenoja a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
Having had a custom maple armoire made for my a/v gear I needed to change my ugly black stand mounted Paradigm Ref 40s. They sounded great but were a visual eye-sore, like many stand mounted speakers. I purcahsed the beautiful unfinished light ash models.

I listened to both the Aeros and Staffs. The Staffs sounded much fuller, deeper and richer then the Aeros. Overall I was suprised by the additional detail and the tighter, if not deeper, bass I heard frokm the Staffs over the Paradigms.

Totem tells me that they no longer reccomend filling the spaekers with sand or shot. Any comments to that?

I also need a good 10'pair of bi-wires. Any suggestions please?

Purchased At:   Bay Bloor Radio

Submitted by Art a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have had these speakers for about 1 year and they are the best speaker I have heard and compared with. I have had problems with brightness with my audio system in the last 4 months and I almost traded my Tabu's in for JM Labs thinking that the speaker was the problem. The JM Labs are very efficient and are a good speaker but not as good as the Tabu's. I found that the problem was on the back of my CD player. I would plug my interconnects into Variable jacks instead of FIXED and when I did I lost bass and my system got bright.
Now I am back to enjoying and listening to music again.

Submitted by DEREK DIAB a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
The Totem Acoustic "Tabu" are beautifully manufactured
speakers.I have them connected to my new Bow Technologies
ZZ1 amplifier through Nordost Flatline Powercables.
The "trio" is completed with the Pink Triangle Littaural
CDP.I listen mostly to Jazz and R&B,but the "Tabu's"
are also fantastic with female singers voices.
Speakers need of quite a bit of "burning in" ,it is surprising how much better they sound after a while.
Speakers must be placed on solid stands,well away from
walls.

Submitted by KB a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 16, 1999

Bottom Line:
Just get my Totem tabu, for three days. Only thing to say is highly musical, great look, good size. Not regret though end up with 2 to 3 pairs of extra speakers. This pair of totem works excellent for listening to Chinese music, New Ages and .., etc. Although the bass is not as low as paradigm ref 100 but enough for what I want.
love the sweet, clear warm sound, great sound image and soundstage.

this is my setup