System Audio SA-1730
Description: <ul> <li>Power handling: 175 Watts</li> <li>Impedance: 4 Ohms</li> <li>Frequency response (+/- 3 dB): 45 - 40.000 Hz</li> <li>Sensitivity (1W, 1m): 89 dB</li> <li>Crossover (24 dB/oct.): 700 / 3000 Hz</li> <li>Dimensions (W x H x D) cm: 13 x 95 x 2,9</li> </ul>

Submitted by bitfield a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2009

Bottom Line:
I tested this speaker agaist several others, some at home and others at some dealers(Quad, triangel heliad, Dali, focal, MS), at its price it was above all others.
Quite forgiving with relatively low cost amplification, but shines with good one.

Strengths:
Natural sound
Very detailed but not bright
Exellent tight and accurate bass even without relating to its slim design and relatively small elements
Musical
High WAF (wife acceptence factor) due to its slim and clean design

Weaknesses:
Stability as my former due to high center of gravity. Filling the sand chamber certenly helps.

I rate it 4 overall because when money doesn't matter (twice or more) you definitely can find better.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by tozenchristos a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2006

Bottom Line:
The price above is British pounds. I am very happy indeed with these speakers.

I bought them after an extensive search for a compact floorstander that was affordable (not high-end silly money) and yet still natural, musical and involving. Nothing at all that I had heard under £800 fitted the bill until I heard these.

They have replaced a pair of Monitor Audio RS6's which have received any number of rave reviews. The SA1730's are only very slightly more expensive, but almost every aspect of their performance is better. They are exceptionally detailed and dynamic and yet so natural and refined as well. Most importantly, they draw me into the music with a wonderful sense of emotional involvement, rather than relentlessly throwing the music at me. However, these are not soft or placid sounding - there is no lack of excitment and dynamic expression when needed.

I had heard a pair of Spendor S5e's and I really liked them for their equisitely expressive midrange, but they were out of my price range. The SA1730's have a similarly natural midrange that draws you into the music. I would say they are just a bit behind the Spendors in terms of solidity of sound and build, but not by much, and they are obviously a lot cheaper.

At last I have found an affordable speaker that allows me to forget about the sound reproduction and enjoy the music. A friend of mine said 'the music is just there', by which she meant that it was right there with us in the room, rather than sounding like the speakers were reproducing the music. That sense of the speakers disappearing is only possible if there is both a high level of transparency and a believable tone and timbre. I don't think there are many speakers at this price that can do it.

Purchased At:   Audio Salon, Glasgow