System Audio SA-1550
MSRP  1900.00
Description: <ul> <li>Power handling: 175 Watts</li> <li>Impedance: 4 Ohms</li> <li>Frequency response (+/- 3 dB): 40 - 35.000 Hz</li> <li>Sensitivity (1W, 1m): 90 dB</li> <li>Crossover (24 dB/oct.): 700 / 3000 Hz</li> <li>Dimensions (W x H x D) cm: 13 x 105 x 27,7</li> <li>Woofers: 4 x 4"</li> </ul>

Submitted by RWC a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2006

Bottom Line:
Quite by accident, when looking to listen to some Wharfedales at a store called Vin's TV and Appliance (not a name to inspire confidence in high end audio!), I came upon System Audio speakers http://www.system-audio.com/. I was quite taken with them in the listening room, but it was the fact that I couldn't get them out of my mind for the next couple of weeks that drew me back.

I couldn't afford the 1750s I wanted, (and the SA7Ks were amazing!) but I am quite happy with my pair of 1550s. It has been nearly six months and I play music through them every day. I absolutely love them. Voices, in particular, sound completely real and alive. The soundstage, in our somewhat cluttered apartment, is broad and deep and musicians are nicely placed within it. I also love the sound of the treble--so many of the speakers I listened to, which at first seemed "detailed", over time just became tiresome. The 1550s have plenty of "sizzle" but I never feel assaulted by the tweeter. I can listen to these speakers for hours.

For the price, I think they are absolutely wonderful. The complete saga, should you be stuck inside on a rainy day with nothing to do, is at my blog: http://homepage.mac.com/rwcjaz/iblog/B712460200/index.html

I'm a professor with a modest salary and finding speakers that could reproduce classical music satisfactorily within my budget proved to be extremely difficult. The 1550s fit the bill. ( . . . but oh, how I wanted those 1750s!)

Furthermore, they look great!

Purchased At:   Vin's TV and Applian