Snell Acoustics Type C

Submitted by Ernie a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2014

Bottom Line:
I have owned my Snell C's about 3 years. I bought them used for 200 dollars. I have replaced the bases with solid maple and also replaced the woofers with genuine Snell replacements from Atomic HiFi. So, how do they sound? THERE IS NOTHING UNDER 10 GRAND THAT CAN TOUCH THEM.......F.....ING AMAZING!!!!

Submitted by KEN GAWLER a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
I HAVE OWNED MY SNELL C SPEAKERS FOR 12 YEARS. THEY NEVER CEASE TO AMAZE ME. WITH THE RIGHT PROGRAM MATERIAL THET ARE OUTRAGEOUSLY IMPRESSIVE. THEY SEEM TO NEED ALOT OF SPACE TO REALLY COME ALIVE;AND I BELIEVE PROGRAM MATERIAL IS VERY IMPORTANT. THE PRICE PAID WAS A TERRIFIC BARGAIN CONSIDERING THESE SPEAKERS CAPABILITIES.I COULD NEVER IMAGINE MY LISTENING ROOM WITHOUT THEM!

Price Paid:    $1990.00

Purchased At:   AUDIO ALTERNATIVE

Submitted by Terry Roth a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have had the Snell type C's for more than 10 years, and have never felt I needed to upgrade. Had big Magneplanars before them, and could not live with the too-tightly focused sweet spot. (Used the Maggies with the big bass panels, but the room was a little small (12x18) for them). I drive the Snells with an Amber 70 amp from a PS Audio 4.5. The Amber puts a little over 100 watts into the speakers, which is on the shy side for concert volume with full orchestra/chorus, but more than adequate for chamber music and jazz. I suppose I could look for an amp with more power, but the Amber is a very lovely-sounding solid-state amp, albeit there is a tiny bit of hum present which is masked by music at regular listening level.

The sound is extremely well balanced, from about 30 hz to 15khz or so (at 57 I no longer hear much above that), and the soundstage has a decent front-to-back spread, and better than average width. The Snells are not very sensitive, tho. I had to have the bass (10 inch) driver on one speaker re-coned (the foam surround was disintegrating) and one of the 4inch midrange drivers failed after 7 years.

I paid about 1800 for these back in the last 1980's, and they have been worth every penny. I have never bi-amped, but bi-wire with Monster and Kimber cables (Monster for bass, Kimber for treble drivers)

Submitted by S a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 31, 1999

Bottom Line:
I love my Snell C-IV's, great bang for the buck. They do need a large room which I have and pleanty of power. Two Hundred Watts minimum, the more the better. Biamping also helped the sound a bit. I did turn off the rear tweeter, my room was is bit bright.