Sansui SP-X8000
Description: 4-Way 6Speaker system 1-16in Woofer 2-6in Midrange 1-horn tweeter 2-1in supertweeters (1978)

Submitted by vintaudiofan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2012

Bottom Line:
I got these in very good condition, minty drivers and small abrasions spots on some sides. These speakers are heavy and the cabs seem pretty solid. Finish is vinyl, which is unfortunate. Grille is real wood, though. I have been running these with NAD 2030B and I like the match so far.

These speakers get surprisingly loud, so 98 dB sensitivity must be true. I have been feeding them with some electronic/synth and I like the bass they produce. The bass is clean and punchy. The highs are not annoying even if I turn the tweeter control the the max setting; it sounds great when you listen to them at a distance of a few yards.

I take my NAD to half volume and I feel my insides getting pounded by bass from a distance of a few yards. I just use NAD bass/treble and I don't use loudness switch. I position these speakers away from walls and I don't get any booming. The cabs have surprisingly small ports for such big woofers, this must be doing some bass control. Of course, you need to run them loud to enjoy the full potential. The specs for these speakers state that they can go as low as 25Hz, I think the can.

SP-X8000's are fairly rare these days. I don't see them very often for sale.

Submitted by jason a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2011

Bottom Line:
i have owned these spx 8000's for over twenty years now, ......i think i may have woke up jesus with them at least three or four times....rated at 160 watts max, they have handled everything i ever hooked them up to, but they have always sounded their best when paired up with my "BIG G"....Sansui G 7000 receiver. No flaws to mention, if you take care of them, theyll rock on forever

Submitted by trehane a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2006

Bottom Line:
Mine are the SP-X7700. Seller had them running on a JVC system when I heard them. Sounded nice in the driveway. I had heard about 1970's Sansui from a friend though neither of us had ever heard any. I was running some small B&W's (DM4) which sounded lovely but were light in the base. These Sansui's give a nice warm, rounded sound. I power them with a 14W/channel tube amp. Found the efficiency is rated at 97db so they have a lot more volume than I can use and keep the bride as well. These are keepers there is no doubt of that. I have no hesitation in recommending these both from a quality and cost point of view. Mine were bought at a g-sail but a pair went on ebay recently for about $260. With two separate boxes for shipping, the cost to the buyer is likely another $150. These sound like more than $400 worth so to my mind, they are a bargain at that price.

Very impressive playing jazz. Vocals are particularly fine. Soundstage is excellent. The woofer is 15 inches in mine and is nice and tight. I have had more base from smaller woofers but I like jazz and classical piano so the base these speakers produce is perfect. Buy em if you can find em.

Purchased At:   garage sale

Submitted by Rob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2006

Bottom Line:
Just found some SP-X7700 while garage-sailing. Small piece of lattice chipped off but hard to notice. One of them has a malfunctioning tweeter adjustment switch so I will be taking it to my tech to make it better. I don't normally pay $50 at g-sails but I had seen some reference to this era Sansui being good and more importantly, the seller had them hooked up in his driveway. Not disappointed with this purchase at all. I have them hooked to an Eico HF81 tube amp with about 14 watts/channel. Been playing a lot of jazz vocals. Excellent sound quality. They must be fairly efficient to do that. These are definitely keepers. All drivers working nicely. I'll do a little secret formula on the cabinets to bring them to perfection but they are in excellent shape generally. Found a website that has pics but no stats on them. My ears say if you can find these you really should buy them.

Purchased At:   g-sailed

Submitted by pangl a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
The Sansui SP-X8000 is among the very best vintage speakers I have ever heard. With 99db sensitivity, 8ohm impedence, they just sound magical with my 300B Single-ended triode amp (9w per channel). The richness and smoothness of the vocals are way too seductive.

I have to disagree with the person who complaints about the bass (or lack of). What associated equipments do you use? This is just like an crazy guy (also in AudioReview) who used an cheap Adcom to drive an B&W Matrix 803, and then complainted about how bad the speakers sound and gave an 1 star rating.

The bass I found is fast, pretty clean, and adequate with most jazz, classical and vocal music (including light pop). If you are the one who obsessed with bass drums in Mahler, or Metallica type of music, give up and look else where OR just get an fast subwoofer.

You got to understand that strong, loud bass is not the strength of vintage speakers (and majority of modern speakers stink in that department anyway). Only those who seek the golden age sound of turntables and tubes seem to appreciate the gorgeous sound of vintage speakers.

Back to X8000. The soundstage is spacious and precise. It is not as 3D as the B&W 801 nor Revel nor Coincident I used before, of course. But that's more make up by its wonderful midrange and crisp, airy highs.

From what I know, in the Sansui line, the SP-X8000 is only surpassed by top-flight SP-X9000.

*****