ProAc Studio 100
Description: Two Ways speaker

Submitted by S_P a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
I've been using theese speakers for a while now and would like to share my view.
There is a common missunderstanding among the people who tend to give ProAc's high score on reviews. The mistake is that they compare ProAc's to similary priced loudpeakers. No wonder they like them. The Studio 100 should be compared to other speakers that cost at least twise as much. You do that and you'll come to conclusions:
-ProAc's have most delicate and natural midrange that beats more expensive competition.
- Soundstage is wider, deeper, higher and more focused.
- Speakers dissapear. Music is not reproduced. It is CREATED. Presence!
-Studio 100 pulls a trick of being linear, romantic, easy to listen to, good even at nearfield litening with wide dispersion in same time as it is responding to minimal changes in equipment, positioning and cabling.
If there ever was a HiFi loudspeaker that made studio folks agree with audiophiles and music lovers - than THIS IS IT!

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
In my previous post I listed the Model # incorrectly. The Model # I own is the original Studio 1, and the driver was replaced with the Studio 100 driver. I apologize for the error.

Purchased At:   Playing by Ear

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers fron Dave when they were 6 months old in 1990. They were the demos mounted on the wall at Playing by Ear. I was perusing the CD's when I heard some Flemenco music playing directly behind me. At one passage the artist slapped the body of his guitar. The textures of flesh and wood gaves me goosebumps. You could hear every bit of the sound resonating within the body of the guitar.
I turned around to make sure I was still listening to a pair of speakers. I walke out of the store with those speakers and a pair of Target stands. I have owned these speakers ever since and they have been nothing but a pleasure to own. I replaced the original driver last year when the surround dry rotted away. I replaced it with the same driver as the Studio 150. The new driver has a much larger magnet and it is apparent in the authority of the bass and midrange. I frequent many high-end shops as often as possible. I have listened to speakers ranging from $1200 to $35,000. I almost trade my speakers in a couple of times but couldn't part with them. No, they are not the final word in speakers. But they hold their own a gainst any speaker in their price range and MANY that cost much much more. These speakers do require the best equipment that you can afford in front of them. Don't try to match these with Mid-Fi. You will be disappointed. Vacuum tubes do work best, or Class A solid state ONLY! These speakers do everything well. If you want more bass, add a sub. Once you go ProAc, you don't go back.

Purchased At:   Playing by Ear

Submitted by Daniel Frenette a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
For less than $1000, STUDIO 100 is the perfect match with a good quality tube amplifier. The weaknesses of tubes are compensated by the superb PROAC behaviour.

Looking for a perfect match with my 40 watts tube amplifier (designed by a brilliant friend who combined and improved many classic tubes amplifier designs from around the world), we have spend many months listening to dozen of various speakers on the Canadian market. Nothing could satisfy us. Until we eard the PROACs! In this price range, nothing compared to the STUDIO 100. In fact, I challenge anybody to come with a comparable quality of sound without spending twice as much money!

Take my advise, and try them once (with a tubes amp. of course). You won't regret it.

Purchased At:   Filion Electronique

Submitted by Kevin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2000

Bottom Line:
These speakers are great for a small, NY styled living room. Quite a bit of bass for such a small speaker that has great mid and highs. Goes well with a tube amp to increase the bass and make the overall sound smooth. Sound real cool with hip hop or other smooth grooves.