ProAc Response 1.5

Submitted by dwng a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2011

Bottom Line:
Recently acquired a very well kept pair of original Response 1.5. What a sweet pair of speakers. Compared with the 1sc that I also have, they are more willing, with greater bass extension and not bloated upper bass. Positioning is important since the bass port is located at the back. D15 moved the port to the base and D18 made it side firing at the bottom. I didn't find the rear firing port any issue. Instead I actually find that fun because I have some control over the amount of bass I get. The only slight rant is that the reflex port is right under the speaker posts so the choice of speaker cable is important. Definitely suggest checking all the screws and make sure they are tightly fastened. The same design applies to at least the infamous Response 2.5 as well so I guess it is not a big issue.

BTW, saw a pair of D15 and D25 at a dealer. As mentioned, reflex ports are at the bottom and spikes that lift the unit off the floor have been replaced with cones. All is good except that the nut where the cones attached do not sit flush on the bottom plate but come out by about 2mm. That should be no issue if they are well looked after. However, it appears that they must have been dragged around on the floor without being lifted up. Perhaps it was on a carpeted floor. Therefore, the cones are no longer firmly attached but sways side-to-side with the slightest force. In addition, there are some obvious marks on the cabinets of these lovely speakers. Heart breaking! Take care if you have D15/D18/D25/D28, look after their spikes.

Submitted by PerdanaV6 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the newer Response D15 had it for 5 months and about 200 hrs playing time. I contructed and completed an attic studio in Sept 2003 in view of placing my guitars and planned for a decent audiophile equipments for easy and private listening.
Upon completion went around an auditioned speakers and equipment which included Vandersteen 3a, 2a, Sonus fabers, Thiel and Proacs and others. I initially end up with a Proac Studio 125 which was fairly decent but within a few weeks went back to the shop and swapped for a Response D15. I wanted a simple equipment arrangement and had a Prmare I20 amp and a Primare D20 CD player to drive the speakers. It came close to my acceptance but felt something was not showing the true colors of the speakers and upgraded the int amp with the new hybrid Copland CSA 29. After sufficient break in time the D15 came to fully alive. Seperation and imaging was superb. Bass I felt was not as strong as the Proac Studio but was more accurate.High was clear and the mids was something to die for. It was not too engaging which I prefered and no forwardness detected. Everything came together nicely, no fatigue and have been enjoying music for hours since.

Purchased At:   CMY

Submitted by silverpep a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
Terrific small two way design. I had the 2.5 for years but needed something smaller for a medium sized room. The 1.5 gives much of the performance of the 2.5 and images a bit better. The 2.5 has better bass, and has a richer midrange, but that would depend on the size of your room. A much better buy than the 1SC with good stands. For a few hundred more you get some real bass and a deeper, richer sound.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Joao Palmas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
there is just a word for these speakers: addictive!

I cannot stop listening, specially when there are vocals involved.

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Imacustica

Submitted by ken ambrose a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
WOW, what a revelation compared to my Boston Acoustics VR-950s (although to be fair the boston's are 1/3 the price)!
After > 1 year avg. 2 hours/day listening, I can say that listener fatigue - the audiophile problem from hell- is completely gone from my listening with these guys. I _never_ thought that would happen!
Details:
Imaging is magnificent, truly eerie sometimes. Often the speakers completely disappear and the soundfield is spread smoothly and evenly across a virtual-soundstage! I can often pick out individual placement of instruments and vocalists between the actual speakers, something I could never do before.

Midrange - to die for as they say. Male and female vocals provide all the presence of live- and I listen to live a lot. You can hear the breathiness, lip-smacks, etc. as you would in live. Detail at lower levels is magnificent, so the expressiveness in the human voice is reproduced like no other speakers I've heard.

Transients- no not homeless people- I mean the ability of these speakers to recreate the startling dynamics and speed of live music. Drum attacks snap out at you just like a live combo.

Bass- to be honest I use a subwoofer and dbx subharmonic synthesizer becuase I often play loud and my tube amp only has 25 wpc. So I cannot comment on the bass, never had these powered adequately to drive the bass with the main amp.
Treble- sweet,non-fatiguing but still great resolution and tingle. I swear I can count the rivits on the cymbals.

Purchased At:   reference-av.com