Polk Audio SDA-CRS+
Description: Compact SDA speaker system w/ Two source drivers and one silver voice coil tweeters; w/ rear firing 10" Passive radiator

Submitted by Awesomeaudiojim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2015

Bottom Line:
I have a pair of Polk SDA CRS SPEAKERS. 1 Tweeter does not seem to work. Hooked up ohm meter and reads 7.8. I'm no electronics wizard. Offered for $225.00 Pick up in central N.J. Or you pay for shipping. They are heavy. Real oak veneer cabinets. minor scuffs an stain but nice for 30 yrs old. All drivers appear to be in excellent shape. Jim . six zero nine three one zero eight three two seven.

Submitted by Mwk a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2015

Bottom Line:
What can I say that others are not saying. I feel the same way. I have upgraded the tweeter and fixed the 6.5 woofers that my computer blew out. ( Thank you pulseaudio ! ) I will simply never get rid of them. Pair them with a quality amp , I have a Sherbourn 7/channel 200 watt that makes them sound like they were meant too.

I have built many DIY speakers that sound great , These are my go to comparison. I consider myself an audiophile but love the most those things that deliver far outside their price. I always have to be in the $8000 a pair an up to beat these speakers. ( Unless I make them myself )

Find them for $400 on the internet and fix'em if they need it. You do the math.

Submitted by jcmphoto a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2010

Bottom Line:
These are the original Polk Audio Stereo Dimensional Array (SDA) Compact Reference Series (CRS) speakers released in 1984. They utilize a phased array technology which substantially enhances the spatial separation between channels. The smooth high frequencies produced by the high dome tweeters are just just stunning. I have owned mine since 1986 and they still amaze me. They are particular good at reproducing the subtle tones of acoustic instruments. You can stills find these speakers if you are patient. They are truly a tremendous value.

Submitted by 3-LockBox a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2007

Bottom Line:
I bought these things back in 1988. Polk Audio had really come into their own as a hi-fi speaker company in the mid '80s, and I had wanted to buy a pair of PAs for a long time leading up to my purchase. I was in the military and needed something that could be easily moved around (and/or stored) rather easily and the CRSs (compact reference sysytem) fit the bill, but still provided me with a big sounding speaker. Not nearly as big as many of the behemoth speakers of their day, they put out amazing sound. Sure, there were better speakers, but you were going to spend more money and own a much larger speaker to achieve better sound than the CRSs. Even after almost 20 years, these speakers still sound great, the butyl rubber surrounds are still intact, the woofer cones show no signs of distress, and the cabinets are still rock-solid.

Polk Audio stuck with the SDA line for only a few years, then Polk started to pander to the burgeoning HT market and started building tower designs. They went to ported cabinets instead of using passive radiators, which I think gave Polk their signature sound and helped them carve out their own niche in the '80s. They were a unique speaker, and no speaker today in the same price range sounds any better than my 20 year old SDA CRS+. I'll never get rid of them.

Purchased At:   QC Stereo

Submitted by Bitwise a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2006

Bottom Line:
I spent over a month auditioning speakers before I purchased these (1995), and not only do I not regret it, 12 years later I'm looking to buy another pair! I used my CRS's as my front stereo speakers until I recently aquired some Polk SDA-SRS monsters (each one is like 4 CRS's in a huge cabinet!!!), and now have moved the CRS's for rear-surround duty. I'm going to get once more pair of CRS's for center-position. Everything is driven with Hafler DH-500 (2X bi-amped for the SRS's). I still have know of no other speaker its size that can play ANY type of source material at extremely powerful levels effortlessly...given you have 250+ WRMS behind them. Their sound and capacities are unrivaled for anything even close to their price new, and especially now in the aftermarket. It is a moving experience to listen to my system with these speakers, rivaling large concert venue levels and exceeding any club or small venue. It's noteworthy that I also have a Paradigm Servo-15 subwoofer handling frequencies below 80Hz.

Purchased At:   Pacific Stereo