Polk Audio RT20
Description: 2 8-in powered subs, 6-in mid, 1-in tweeter

Submitted by C Williams a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have always loved Polk Audio Speakers and I really have enjoyed these speakers but I am disappointed that I have had to replace all the 8" sub-woofers over the last 5 years and I never cranked on them. I have decided to send all my bass and LFE to another sub-woofer and leave these built-in woofers at a low power settings so as not to stress them so that they last.

Purchased At:   United Audio

Submitted by David Kintner a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
We purchased 2 sets of RT20's for our two home theaters. We have had all the subs and most of the mids go bad in these speakers. Actually all the drivers mfg in Oct 96 went bad. We do not listen to loud music, mostly movies and classical music. Polk has replaced these with their 5 year warrentee, but are getting reluctant now to do so even though with some talk they have done it. I really like the polk sound, but I'm worred that the rest of my speakers will go bad. We have 4 RT20's, 4 RT16's and 4 RT12's. I think I would think twice before purchasing more Polk.

Purchased At:   Hi-Fi Buys

Submitted by Drew Johnston a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 23, 1999

Bottom Line:
I use the RT20s in a home theater with Polk surrounds and Center. The RT20s are very crisp but have a little too much emphasis on the upper midrange. Lots of bass but I get uneven reponse in my room unless I move them way out from the wall. They are a better Home theater speaker than music spaeaker

Submitted by Roddy a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 19, 1998

Bottom Line:
You people have GOT to be kidding...right? My main beef is they are not a good value. If you haven't bought your speakers yet...keep on shopping.
I've heard these speakers a lot, and while they are ok...they are not 1st class (or anywhere near) in their price range.

Only a diehard polk afficiando would want these in their listening room. I'd strongly reccommend you audition these side by side with other brands in the same price range, and you won't purchase these.

Submitted by Kevin Kohrman a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 5, 1998

Bottom Line:
I have owned about every pair of Polks. I started with the S-10s. Those where great speakers for starters but did not have the response of high and lows. I then went to the RT 12s. Those were excellant speakers for my starting home theater. Great bass and mid range. I then traded those in for the RT 20p. I never had a greater response from a Polk speaker. I thought those were the greatest. Incredible bass and crystal tweeters. You cant beat a better speaker with 2 8" woofers with 100 watts pushing just those 2 speakers. Unless you did what I did and upgraded again to the 2000p's. Oh boy if you want to wake up the neighborhood , these are the ones. I had an even swape for better and more powerful speakers after a year of usage of the 20p's. 200 watts going to the woofers. Plus they handle 400 watts. Thats 600 watts of pure speaker. If you have the money, I highly recommend these. I am Polk for life.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile