Polk Audio RT12
Description: Ported w/ 2 6.5-in woofers, 1-in tweeter

Submitted by Matt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2009

Bottom Line:
A friend gave these to me because he's moving and, well, they've been in a closet for years now. I was pretty jazzed to get a free set of big speakers to play with, who wouldn't be? When I got them home, I unplugged my Paradigm Mini Monitors and hooked these bad boys up.

Yuck.

They don't sound terrible, but the sound they produce is VERY colored. Acoustic guitars sound like they're in the room when reproduced on the Paradigms, the Polks honestly sound like it's playing in a wooden box. I never had a good sense of what it meant to 'hear the speaker' until I did a side-by-side comparison with the Paradigms. The bass was muddy and unimpressive and the treble lacked presence.

I think if I were to run them next to my older Bose 401s they'd sound pretty decent, and right now I'm in the process of testing them as rear channels (taking over for the 401s). I have a feeling that I'm going to prefer the bi-polar 401s for rear channel, but we'll see.

If you can get a deal on these (I'll say $135 because that's what I paid for the 401s), there is nothing wrong with them. But don't go much higher than that because you could find a used pair of Paradigm Titans (v. 2 or above) for that price (I got mine for $125) or even luck out and find a pair of Mini Monitors that will blow them both out of the water.

I only tested with acoustic music, some of these reviews say that they're better for rock (but that's only because there is so much "action" that you wouldn't hear the coloration), but it didn't take long to see that they have weaknesses and wouldn't be replacing my current speakers.

In sum: buy if you can get a really good deal, pass if you'll have to spend more than, say, $150.

Submitted by etan75 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2005

Bottom Line:
I purchased a pair of Polk RT12 speakers in 1998 at Goodguys on closeout ($400/pair), and have since had to replace all drivers. Both tweeters went bad, and all mid and bass drivers started to make a cracking sound. I rarely listened to music loud using these speakers, and was disappointed with the quality of these speakers.

Following four visits to Goodguys' product repair service department in 2003, 2004 and 2005, these speakers are performing well again.

Thank goodness I purchased an extended warranty.

I have a pair of A/D/S L9e speakers from 1990, and they sound great! When the Polks were in the shop, I used the A/D/S. Although these are bookshelf speakers, they've not once given me any problems, and after nearly 15 years, they still sound great! I'm thinking about selling my Polks...

Purchased At:   Goodguys - Santa Cla

Submitted by David Kintner a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
We purchased 2 sets of RT20's, RT16's and RT12's for our two home theaters. We have had all the subs and most of the mids go bad in the 16's and 20's. None in the RT12 have gone bad to date. All the drivers in the 20's and 16's mfg in Oct 96 went bad. We do not listen to loud music, mostly movies and classical music. Polk has replaced these with their 5 year warrentee, but are getting reluctant now to do so even though with some talk they have done it. I really like the polk sound, but I'm worred that the rest of my speakers will go bad. We have 4 RT20's, 4 RT16's and 4 RT12's. I think I would think twice before purchasing more Polk.

Purchased At:   Hi-Fi Buys

Submitted by Brent a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2000

Bottom Line:
I manage a futureshop (similiar to circuit city) in Canada, and I have had the chance to audition 100's of combination of the above brands with a multitude of amplifiers. I purchased these ones for 370.00 Canadian as they were on their way out. I currently have them hooked up to an H/K 75. They sounded good when first purchased but came alive when I got my hands on a pair of Polks trilaminate dome tweeter, MUCH better highs, extended response, easier on the ears during long listening sessions. Great bass for the price/size of drivers. Rt 800 which replaces it is slightly better low end, way better tweeter. If you own these speakers order the trilaminate tweets from polk. YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY. They drop right in in about 2 minutes flat. Also for ht you need a subwoofer, of course i fell that way about most speakers. If you want this sound quality without a sub, buy the rt2000. They will rock your world.

Submitted by B.Wilson a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 26, 1999

Bottom Line:
Smooth,deep bass that beats all in it's class. Nice speaker that was very well thought out by Polk.Recommended to everyone who enjoys hi-end music.