Polk Audio LSfx
Description: Surround Sound Speakers

Submitted by James a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
Overall these speakers really surprised me! I didnt think a speaker of this price point could create such a seemless surround stage and many times while first testing out my purchase i noticed sounds in the rear channels that I had never noticed before while watching movies that I had seen many times before! These surround speakers really shine unless there is extreme bass sent to them, i noticed break up and distortion during loud bass filled 5.1 movies, this problem is easily solved if you set your surround decoders rear channels to small, this allows the bass signal to be routed to the sub. After fine tuning my reciever I would have to rate them 4 stars!

Submitted by Alfredo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
These speakers do a great job with background info in the low to mid level intensity scenes. However, when Godzilla came a knocking on my door they were stressing out with an uncontrollable rattle eminating from both channels. Same is true with jet scenes from the same movie, and from Broken Arrow, Top Gun, etc. I was so ticked off that I took took them off the wall and I hooked up some Boston bookshelves (CR7's) to see if it truly was the speaker and not My Yamaha DSPA1 causing this noise. The Bostons did not rattle, nor did my RT7's that I hooked up for those few minutes of experimentation. As much as I like Polk speakers, I wouldn't recommend them for a big room, or a high powered amp( I use to own a Yammy RXV 992 rated at 80 x 5 and they acted up with that receiver as well). I wonder if I just got a bad pair. I never took them back, I plan on upgrading to their big brothers in the future and perhaps setting these up in a different room.

Submitted by Louie A Belt a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 12, 1999

Bottom Line:
I've had my LS/fX's for a year. I have had problems with one of the drivers (mid/bass) rattling under low wattage. It has been replaced twice (and within a few weeks it starts again. I am now awaiting a 3rd driver from Polk. Other than this problem, I must say they have been a good (not great) surround speaker. I intend to repalce them soon, but for the price, they were good performers.

Submitted by Mark a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 4, 1999

Bottom Line:
I am extremely happy with these speakers. I came from M1's for my surrounds to these and the difference is night and day! With these you can close your eyes and (In Blade) hear the bullets flying all around you but you CAN"T tell where the speakers are at! I love them and am most thourghly pleased. Highly reccomended if you don't have the $$ for the F/X 500's. I got mine for $175 in the marketplace on this website.