Platinum Audio PT-806
Description: Stereo / Home Theater speakers

Submitted by Dr Dave a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have these on loan from a friend to "try before you buy". I A-B'd them next to my JBL L1 bookshelf speakers. (I am a *huge* JBL fan BTW). These speakers were muddy compared to the JBLs. The was too much base emphasis and not enough detail. Don't get me wrong, I don't like fatigueing highs (insert *any* Infinity speaker here). But these pt806 speakers just look a lot better than they sound. I'm glad my JBLs kicked their ass. : )

Purchased At:   Private sale

Submitted by xyrium a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
Noticed the glowing reviews of these speakers, and have to comment on the bass. It is far too powerful. The system is clearly bass heavy when powered by an Odyssey Stratos. The bass is fairly well defined, but there is simply too much of it. However, the mids and highs are articulate, without being edgy. It is possible that these in contrast to my Dyn A50s are simply more "capable" of reproducing lows that I am missing on my Dyns though. They are placed 48" from the side walls and 42" from the wall behind them. Great bargain nonetheless, rating is on selling price of $500.00.

Purchased At:   Audio ADvisor

Submitted by lukeout a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
These are very high quality Speakers.
The bass is so amazing,I can't find a sub for 2000.00 to match up.

Purchased At:   Local HiFI dealer

Submitted by Jack P a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
these are of course no longer available. I bought one of the last ten pairs. I was so impressed that I talked both of my brothers into buying a pair. Later I traded one of my bros some other stuff for his pair, so now I have 2 pair and am thinking on how I can get the other brothers pair too! If you ever see these used, don't hesitate to snatch them up. Basically I echo what's been said these have impressive bass, the soundstageing is first rate, they are detailed but smooth and the highs are non-fatiguing and clear. I'll never part with them.

Purchased At:   audio advisor

Submitted by George a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
Just want to confirm the fine qualities that other reviewers have previously stated. These speakers really put out a clean, rich, and very detailed sound. The clearance price that Audio Advisor sold these for ($249/pair) made the purchase seem more like stealing the speakers then leaving a tip.

I listen primarily to classical and contemporary instrumental music and the 806's are equally at home with either. I believe that they would also make great front speakers in a high end home theater system.

No one will ever consider the 806 plain black cabinets and grills to be fine furniture but, given the super sound qualities, I really don't care.

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor