Paragon Regent

Submitted by pangl a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2006

Bottom Line:
Got this pair in Audiogon for $1400 in 2004 (that's already overpaid $100, BlueBook is $1300 or so).

This is my 2nd pair of speakers in transmission line design. The sound could be described as very natural and open, rather lean and dry to my taste. I'd expect more from DynAudio drivers deployed, and I certainly somewhat disappointed.

The power and sensitity ratings are misleading - you need very top notch juicy amps to drive this well.

Also, a big room is required. My room is 24' x 30' and is still not big enough to live up to the expectation. Placement is not easy - I spent like 3 days (2 days more in spending placement of my Wilson Watt Puppy 5) - and I still don't like the soundstage. May be my room is not optimal for this.

I'd say my buying decision was purely based on faith, after reading many glowing reviews here. And my decision is likely not a wise one. For $1400 however, you could get a lot of value out of it but you probably need to spend $$$$$ to prove that it's the right speakers for you.

I ended up selling them for $900 to a local college professor. No name, too top heavy, impossible to ship due to odd shape, company out of business. Before you pay the big bucks for this, think!

:-)

P.S. This pair of speakers is among the most top-heavy kind I ever owned. It's dangerous if you have kids around them. I don't think the thought of an 150lb-er falling over your kid would make you feel good when you're at work. That's acually the driving reason to dump my pair so cheap.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by GronK a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
I first encountered the Paragon Regents at CES in the early 90's. I was employed by a leading high end amplifier manufacturer at the time. The Paragons created quite a stir amongst the "gurus" of the day, including my old boss. They told the boys from Minneapolis the only problem was going to be the low price. They wouldn't be taken seriously if they didn't at least double it. To make a long story short, the gurus were right, but not before many of us had acquired a set. I have been away from hi-end audio for 7 years now. All the toys I acquired back then have gone by the wayside except the Paragons. Even using decidedly mid-fi electronics they sound sweet and musical, and the "denapolito array" (simulated point source) keeps the sound stage broad, but focused.

Purchased At:   factory

Submitted by Bruce a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
If you are reading these reviews for product info before a purchase, "Ignore the idiot below me with the Beware review." Yes Paragon unfortunately went out of business, but the drivers are Dynaudio and can still be obtained direct from Dynaudio with a simple phone call.

I'm not going to get long winded about these speakers. I've had the opportunity to listen to some of the best transducers on the market at home and without a doubt the Paragon Regents have put me into "An Audio Stuper" like only the most elite could do. You guys who are fanatics know what I mean! You put on a favorite disc, settle back into your listening chair, press play and start your journey into the realm of music laid out before you. So realistic in presentation that your eyes move around the stage looking at all the musicians faces as the soloist pours his heart out the bell of his trumpet, they all reach to turn the page in unison and you hear the noise of the paper lightly scraping the stands. The drummer, who is a good 20 feet back starts to lay down a sweet cymbal ride and you can tell he's using nylon tipped sticks on a Zyldjian ride cymbal. Section by section the band picks up the melody and they're off to the climax like they're hearts are going to explode. The stage is SO full of music and it just keeps getting more emotional. Your feet and hands have a mind of their own and won't stop moving, the band brings it to a head like a bottle of champagne ready to explode, Joy,Excitment,Energy,Love, every emotion about ready to burst and there is nothing you can do about! The band lays down the FATTEST most EXCITING and POWERFUL ending to a song that has ever been written and you feel the need to jump to your feet and scream to show your appreciation. All that musical energy just pumped through your veins to your head like an orgasm!!!

As you go to retrieve the CD you glance at your watch. Oh Sh*t! It's 2:30 in the morning! It's a good thing I didn't let loose with the scream or my wife would be pissed at me! This session started at 8:00 pm!!! Where the H%ll did all that time go?????

As a trumpet player very few speakers have conveyed the emotion and energy of being there in front of Louie Bellson and his band, the raw power of Manard Ferguson and Doc Severinson with their recording bands. IF these speakers can move me this deeply then they are VERY GOOD at restoring the music back to it's original form. To me it's like riding the most amazing roller coaster known to man. Extreme levels of excitement have been achieved. The Regents can take me places few others can even open the door to, and they do it at price that is WAY BELOW the next closest contender!!!!!

System 1-
Krell KRC-HR pre
Krell MDA-500 monoblocks
Krell MD-20 transport
Krell Reference 64x dac
MIT or Transparent cabling.

System 2-
BAT VK-3i
BAT VK-200
Proceed PDT mkIII transport
Krell Studio dac
AlphaCore Goertz cabling

ONE OUTSTANDING PERFORMER !

Purchased At:   private sale

Submitted by Newbie Avenger a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
Paragon does not exist. Sure does sound like another reputable company though... Paradigm. If you were in a hurry, you might confuse the two...

Purchased At:   beware

Submitted by John a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
Yes, they are as good as all of these reviews.

However, due to space limitations during a recent move, I will consider selling if anyone is interested. They are in excellent condition and Ribbon Mahogany finish.