Paradigm Reference Studio 80 v2

Submitted by JG1233 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2013

Bottom Line:
Looks like it's been a while since a review has been posted, so.... I just scored a pair of the V2 80s about a month ago (couldn't resist for the price) & still think the V2 studio series are some of the best ever produced by Paradigm. These replace my studio 40 V2s (I run two channel stereo, the only way to go), which aren't exactly slouches but, the 80s have way more of the deep, tight bass I was looking for that the 40s just couldn't deliver. Playing King Crimson's "Three of a Perfect Pair" really showed me what they could do, great bass response & detail. I'm powering them with Rotel separates, RC-1070 preamp, RCD-1072 CD player & RB-1080 amp with Silver Sonic T-14 speaker cable in bi-wire configuration. From what I've read, Rotel & Paradigm studios are a good match, I tend to agree. The Paradigm studios are high quality speakers, don't skimp out by using a cheap receiver, they need higher end gear with clean power to sound their best. The Studio 80s have stood the test of time & I think I'll be hanging on to them for a while.....until I get the itch to try something else again.

Submitted by jmall a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2006

Bottom Line:
Since these aren't made anymore I guess this review is for posterity and the used market... Having bounced around a bit over the past 10 or so years with respect to audio equipment I have so far owned these babies (80 v2) for about 3 years now and I can honestly give what I would consider a knowledgable review. First of all, the fact that I have actually stuck with these over the last 3 years is testimonial of how much my wife and I like them. We play music on a daily basis - everything from Mozart to Megadeth. There are times when I am left a little wanting of the last in detail - the mids can muddy up a bit and the highs can be a bit harsh from time-to-time. But let me say this, I have never been put off enough to upgrade. I have looked and listened over the last year to Totem's, B&Ws, newer Paradigm floorstanders, ML, Proac, "many others" and while some might appear to sound a bit better in the store, when I go home and give another listen to mine I always am left shaking my head at just how close these are (and even sometimes much better) to what I heard at the store. The bottom line is that I have been happy with these for longer then any other speaker I have ever owned (and I have owned a few in the last 20 years). Even today they can amaze me and make my jaw drop. At the time, I could have also bought the Studio 100 v2s which are pretty raved about. But there was something I liked better in the mids with the 80s. And I am so glad that I went with my gut on that. What better testimonial can I give :)

One of the questions we are asked to answer - who should/shouldn't use these speakers? I like my music live and dynamic. Thus I like to play some stuff loudish and some good solid state muscle is required. The highs can be harsh but these can be mostly tamed with some tube intermediary equipment - in my case a tubed pre (man, that made a quantum leap from my Marantz receiver). If you are into Rock (anything since 1970), Dance, Hip-Hop/Rap, Jazz, Heavy Metal - these things will get you smiling. In my opinion live stuff, audiophile recordings (ie. the stuff everyone says they like but just use it to show how good their system can sound) and classical is probably not as good as could be had on say Totem or Proac. If you listen very softly, I wouldn't get these either. But if you are like me and like a b it of everything (except opera - I can't stand it so don't listen) then give these suckers a try. I swear you won't be disappointed as long as you take the weaknesses below to head and heart.

Purchased At:   Natural Sound, Kitch

Submitted by Dansky a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2004

Bottom Line:
I have read a few of the reviews of the Studio 80's and have to agree with most comments. I was using these as my stereo speakers with a Rotel Integrated RA-840BX4. Whenever friends would come and listen, they would ask where the sub-woofer was hidden. I did not have one.
These speakers do take quite a while to break in, but then they are a true delight to listen to. When driven with a good current producing amp, the bass is clean & clear. They have the ability to go down fairly low. When playing Peter Gabriel's "Up" cd, I could feel the bass through my whole body. The mids and highs are also very clear, but can almost be too bright at times.
I am in the process of building a home theatre room, and have bought the Paradigm Studio 100 v2's as my fronts and my Studio 80's are my rears. I am borrowing my Son's Yamaha R-V905 receiver, to use as the surround receiver. All I have to say about this is I can hardly wait until I have enough money to buy my new Rotel receiver and give some life back to these speakers. The bass is muddy and muffled sounding with the Yamaha, which is typical of low current or current limiting amplifiers/receivers. A good quality middle of the road amp such as Rotel, NAD, Musical Fidelity or maybe a Marantz is definitely the way to make these speakers sound their best. I initialy heard these speakers at my dealers on a Parasound power-pre seperates. They were truely delightfull to listen to and I bought them a few months later.

Purchased At:   Stereo Plus Gibsons

Submitted by Luis31 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
What can I say that other reviewers haven't said! Transparency, great soundstage with good bass extension, smooth, silky highs thanks to the "soft aluminum dome" tweeters, and well-balanced midrange. A "break-in" period of 50 hours + is recommeded. Mine sounded great out of the box and progressively got better as "break-in" continued.

However, all of the above holds true as long as they are used with good amplification (don't let the "fairly" efficiency rating fool you).

Purchased At:   Top Audio