Mordaunt-Short MS 3.40
Description: 2 way speaker, manufactured around 1990. 120w 8ohms

Submitted by Secondsight a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2007

Bottom Line:
I had my complete system stolen about a month ago - No Insurance!!!!!!! So I started hunting around for some real budget stuff to last me six months or so until I can afford to replace my missing gear and I can't stand listening to our micro system usualy reserved for the bedroom.

I borrowed some old Tannoy bookself's from my brother in-law and hunted around for a cheap Amp. I found an old Rotel RA-930ax in fairly good condition for $150 NZD which was ok for an entry level int Amp over 10 years old, but really it showed up the old Tannoy's for what they where so started the hunt for some speakers, but with not much spare money had little to choose from.

Then I found the MS 3.40's for $180 NZD on our local auction web site Trademe, but could not find any reviews or information on them on the web at all (hence me writting this review so other may have a little something to go on) so I bought them based on the MS reputation and without seeing them or having anybody elses opinion to go on.

These speakers where manufactured in 1990 and have a contempary, but 90's style about them. They look smart without the covers and the trimming is well thought out.

When I plugged them in I noticed the difference streight away - not that thats say much as I was comparing them to the Tannoy's, however I have to say I was suprised at the high end detail and the amount of bass produced from such a small speaker. The mid range is a bit lacking (this could be the amp), but what did I expect for $180NZ.

Overall if you are on a budget and can get your hands on some of these that haven't been thrashed - they are a good buy - I'm guessing that if I paired them with a newer and better amp and a half decent CD player (instead of our DVD player) they would really come into their own - who knows I may keep them instead of laying out thousands on new speakers (that's what I keep telling my wife anyway).

Purchased At:   Trademe