Monitor Audio Silver 7

Submitted by Roger a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2013

Bottom Line:
I have had 7i's for 12 years now. I use them with music and movies through a Yamaha DSP A2 amp and Arcam 7se CD player (smooth trebble). I also have the Silver 12i centre and S3i rear with bipole bronze front fill-in with sub. The 7i are fantastic speakers when set up, bi wired and toe in slightly. Front ported so you can place them closer to walls than rear ported speakers without generating a booming base.

Music is crystal clear and voices have great realism and sound stage is also great. Best vocals I have heard of any speaker. Playing Clanad staging and focus is first rate. Centre 12i needs to be placed at same level as main speakers to deliver its best. Will be upgrading amp hopefully this year.

I read some find the 7i's fatiguing and too bright. I suggest that these listeners have had speakers which are not as clear and precise as the 7i's hence their partnering amps and music sources needed to be 'bright' in order to compensate for the less acomplished speakers. Thus when they place the 7i's in their 'bright' system the speaker faithfully transmits the 'bright' sound fed to them. Just a theory!

Submitted by Mr. Pop a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2009

Bottom Line:
I bought this loadspeaker at ebay for 200 euro. It was a bargin. before I had Linn helix but this ones are so much better. Ok it has less bass but everything else is so much better. it works well with my 30 watts tube aplifier. but you need at least 39watts aplifier to use them. It has a sensitivity for 88 DB so they are not so easydriven ones.
If you find them second hand buy them. Then they are burned in.

But I guess it will be difficult to find them for just 200 Euro. I had a lucky day.

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
Very late review. These speakers were incredible when I first got them. Everything you would ever want in a speaker was here. Then time passed and I found myself listening less, and less eventually getting to the point where I couldn't stand to listen to them. They were fatiguing. Very fatiguing. I was lucky I was able to sell them, though at a reduced price.

Purchased At:   Va Beach, Va

Submitted by John Bennett a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
The 7i gives a detailed and precise, almost analytical, sound. Very clear with acoustic sets, vocals, folk, electronic, jazz and classical.Sand fill and take off the tweeter protectors and the cloth-grills for improved sound.

Purchased At:   Sevenoaks Hi Fi

Submitted by Greg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
Owned these speakers for about three months. The longer I had them the less I wanted to listen to them. Hoping they would warm in with break in but never did. Tried different placements and loading with sand and lead shot. Was really never satisfied with these speakers. Try for an extended in house audition if you are considering these speakers. They are impressive for short periods, like in store audition. They would probably be a great choice for home theater main spreakers. I was able to exchange these speakers for Paradigm Studio 100's paying only difference in dealers selling price. Try that over the internet.

Purchased At:   Audio Retailer