Mission 783
Description: 3-Way Reflex Speaker - 8 inch (200mm) Woofer - Silk Dome Tweeter

Submitted by Chelvam a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
Good sound. Smooth bass. In fact I would happily recommend for speakers below $2000.

Submitted by Benjamin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
I upgraded my 773es to the 783s and it was all worth it. It gave more detail and imaging compared to my 773es. The award-winning 773es were good speakers but the 783s made my all-Arcam set-up sing ! My friend, who is a paradigm and M&K fan, couldnt believe his ears---he absolutely loved it and got converted to the mission sound.

Purchased At:   EBay

Submitted by David Lau a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
I recently owned the Mission 782 and after a year late i upgrade to the Mission 783 for the deeper bass. The mission 783 is one of the great bargains of Hi-end when is properly matched. It´s very valve friendly thanks to a fair impedance curve and suits perfectly the "sound character" of the vast majority of SET designs. I run my pair with a Audio Research VT100SKII and drives me to audiophile heaven. The sound it´s VERY transparent and sweete, with a cavernous and hyperprecise soundstage plenty of ULTRAmicroscopic detail.

Purchased At:   Harmony A/V

Submitted by Roger Hurst a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
When Jeff from The Audio Consultant delivered my 783’s for a trial, I already had a pair of JBL L7s and a pair of well run in Proac Response 2.5s on loan, as well as my old KEF 104s. He told me that the 783s would need 100 hours of running in before they would start to sound good. For the first 20 hours they sounded new and a bit tight. Even then they had good sound stage depth and “disappeared” leaving me totally absorbed into the music, not perceiving the sound as coming from the speakers. This effect was not noticeable at all from the Proacs with my system – I was always aware that the sound was coming from the Proacs.

Gradually they ran in with more bass coming through, and the highs becoming sweeter. After the 50 hour mark there was no way I was giving them back to Jeff. After 100 hours they were sounding wonderfully natural with sharp imaging creating a strong illusion of having the singer in the room. I was impressed with the bass extension and articulation, especially coming from such a slim and elegant cabinet. The bass is not as powerful as from the JBL L7s, the plates in my cupboards don’t rattle as much, but the 783s are not boomy like the L7s. And, as unfair as the comparison is, the 783s are well ahead of my old KEF 104s.

I found that the slimline design didn’t give much width for stability, so I added a steel plate with wider spike spacing. This improved the bass punchiness, and I found it an inexpensive and worthwhile tweak.

Now that I have had the 783s for a year I still love them, they are a delight to listen to with classical, rock, jazz, techno and dance. I am running them with a Musical Fidelity X-Ray, PSS Quartet Interconnects, roger.charles Xenon amp, bi-wired with Interdyn Crystal Cable, in a 7m by 7m room with a 4m ceiling.

When listening to my system the hours pass like minutes, thanks in no small part to the 783s. They are incredibly good value, and you’d have to spend a lot more to match these speakers.

Strengths. Natural, soundstaging, imaging, bass
Weaknesses. The spikes provided don’t penetrate carpet well.

Purchased At:   The Audio Consultant

Submitted by FRANZ DACOSTA a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
These are truly audiophile speakers though can be used for
home theatre but will be a waste(the later).These speakers
are extremely tuneful and detail.
Those that call these speakers less fast on the woofers then they should try 'AL GROMER KHAN' their notions
are bound to change.I also have a pair of DYNAUDIO 82'S these speakers are totally a different league,but the
midrange is close to the mission apart from this the mission
hardly compares.
Now to the weakness-I used these speakers for 4 months
and all through those months the cones(midrange) started
sweating of some sticky substance, which i thought had something to do with humidity.I decided to mail mission they had some realy interesting thing to say,which was they claim a batch fault.Now how come a company lets a pair of speakers go untested out of its premises.This i find very
strange so i have to keep my fingers crossed and hope that
these speakers come back to me(new ones) without faults.
After much scrutiny i found the oozing from the sides of the spiders of the midrange.
Conlusion check the midranges before you buy these
speakers,otherwise great speakers.