Mirage Loudspeakers M-10

Submitted by Bryan a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
The first time I heard these speakers, I was breathless. And fortunately, I still can say the same thing today. These are definitely amongst the best speakers I've ever heard that do not incorporate a powered subwoofer. Their highs are very smooth, and do not contain that ear piercing raspiness that I have heard from other speakers similarly priced. My first impression was that the midrange was a bit weak, but when I gave them more distance from the wall, it seemed to pick up. This could be due to the fact that there are additional drivers mounted on the rear of the speaker: part of their omnipolar design. This also helps attribute to the speakers' excellent ability to fill the room with sound, whereas some speakers must be perfectly placed to get the optimal sound. These speakers still sound wonderful with less-than-perfect positioning. Partnered with my Denon 3301 Receiver, Cat-5 speaker cables, and my home-made powered subwoofer and 4 floorstanding rears, these make an absolutely terriffic pair of fronts for both the music and home theater environment. I wouldn't trade them for several speakers I've heard costing thousands of dollars more. If you can find a pair somewhere for under $1000, I insist you pick them up. You won't be sorry.

Submitted by Theodore a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 10, 1998

Bottom Line:
An extraordinary speaker for its size. It has beautifully clear imaging and a nice, not too agressive, and well-ballanced sonic spectrum. Perhaps the midrange is a bit soft, but that is a relief from all those luxury-priced home theatre units that boom at the bottom and pierce at the top. Piano reproduction is remarkably life-like. Vocals are rich and mellow. Even the most complex symphonic music, Richard Strauss and the like, sound very natural and never over-stressed. A good pair for listening to classical repertoire. After an exhaustive and exhausting search, the Mirage M-10s have my vote.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile