Mirage Loudspeakers 890i
Description: Bipolar radiator-vented tower speaker

Submitted by soccercoach a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2007

Bottom Line:
My system is used for stereo listening as well as home theater. There are four 890i speakers for the mains and surrounds, along with a Mirage MC-2 center speaker and a Velodyne F-1500R subwoofer, all driven by a Pioneer Elite VSX-07TX receiver. I paid $350 per speaker versus a list price of $450 each.

I've been very happy with this set-up. The sound is clear and crisp. I was initially unsure about the marketing hype for the 890i's bipolar design, but I am quite satisfied. Having the four identical speakers really helps the sound 'move' around seamlessly. The MC-2 center is not quite as well matched, but I am probably being picky. No one else can tell, and the centers man purpose is dialog anyways.

The listening space is a living room with vaulted ceiling in an 'L' shape with the dinning room. The far side of the dining room is open to the family room and kitchen. I was a little concerned about speaker efficiency. The bipolar design is not quite as efficient as some speakers, with a specification of 88dB for 1W at 1m. However, I have no problem filling the rather large volume with sound.

With the sub-woofer, I could have even stepped down to the 590i, but given the choice I'd pick the 890I again. The 1090i was also nice, but a bit daunting to fit into my listening space.

Specifcations:
50-150 watts RMS per channel as recommended amplifier power
150 watts maximum power handling
39.75" H x 10.125" W x 8.25" D
60 lbs.
Black fabric on four sides with black high gloss base and top

Purchased At:   Kief's A/V