Krix Esoterix 1 MK2
Description: <ul> <li>Frequency Range: 30Hz - 20kHz in room response</li> <li>Power Handling: Maximum 150 watts</li> <li>Impedance: Nominally 8 ohms</li> <li>Tweeter: 28mm (1") hand coated fabric dome</li> </ul>

Submitted by David Warren a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2010

Bottom Line:
I would like to start by saying that I have owned numerous pairs of loudspeakers. I am one of those people whose friends make fun of for all the buying and selling of audio equipment I do. I've owned many great sounding pieces, but sooner or later the bug bites again and I'm off on another sound quest. I really enjoy finding products that don't break the bank and give the owner the best bang for the buck.Some of my favorite loudspeakers have been Vandersteen CEs, Martin Logan Aerius, Magnepan 1.4, Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs OML-2, and Krix Euphonix. Some I couldn't wait to get rid of were Theil CS1.6, Innersound Isis, and a whole lot of others I've successfully erased from my memory. I almost always buy used gear, and usuually give a speaker about 3 months worth of positioning and playing before really starting to get critical. By then I know whether or not I can live with the. Often times I love the sound I am getting, but just want to try something different. Enter the Krix Esoterix 1 MK2.

Three months previous I had purchased a pair of Innersound Isis from a friend. He gave me a really good deal, and the reviews I read were all positive. It is a 60" tall electrostatic hybrid speaker. When first set up in my room I thoought I was in Heaven, but as days turned to weeks I realized I just couldn't coax the sound I wanted out of them. Great, airy treble, but lousy bass. And talk about needing power! It's no surprize their designer recommends his 300 wpc amp to drive them. Anyway, up for sale they went, and the hunt was on.

I was looking into Craig's List a few days later when I spied an ad for the Krix Esoterix 1 MK2. I remembered the speaker because some years before I purchased a brand new pair of Krix Euphonix from Moondance Audio in Denver. The Esoterix 1MK2 were the top of the line Krix and out of my price range at $3295 a pair, so I bought the second from top Euphonix at a grand less and loved the. I thought "why not" sincce the ad stated they were still new in the box. I arranged a meeting and bought them on the spot. They were indeed still new in sealed boxes. But ho would they sound?

Product model year:   2008