Klipsch Reference RF-3
Description: Tower speaker. 2-way with dual aluminum cone 8" woofers, and horn loaded 1" titanium dome tweeter

Submitted by pabxpangulo68 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2010

Bottom Line:
for those privileged who have the RF-3 series II, I salute you!!!.....after 7 years, the more I listen the more I love them, these are already a legend....by the way, I took a look into more Klipsch recent versions and non of them didn't impress me..I better stay with my old RFs...they really rock!!!

Submitted by uman1916 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2009

Bottom Line:
These babies rock whatever you throw at them. They just keep doing it again and again effortlessly. Everytime I hear them I fall in love all over again.

Submitted by arjn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
I Bought this 4 months back. I ahd auditioned it with Paradigm,Polk and Bose. Although my heart was set on the Amphion Xenons, the price factor made me go for this.

After the fist 50 hours of breakin I am in love with these babies. They play both classical as well as rock with equal ease and my receiver is hardly tested !
I find no need for a subwoofer ...Just put in hell Freezes over by he Eagles and when the drums in Hotel California hit in...My god.. its amazing !!

I use it primarily for Music and find no need for a Sub. Even in HT mode, I dont need a Sub as the extensions is pretty good..but the salm (Which i dont particularly care for) is not there and can only be provided by a Sub.

There are reviews that say these are bright, but my ears seem to really take on to these and can spend hours listening (Before breaking in they were harsh)

I do like to go around and listen to other speakers, but when comparing t most in these price range like Def techs, KEF, Mirage ii come back happy that i bought these.

Additionally these look Great without the grill and really Stand out...anf the moment you put the grill back on they kind of merge in...I could go on...

Submitted by pangulo68 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
For more than 2 years I had hooked the Bose AC5 III to my Harman Kardon AVR7000 and used them most of all for music. For a long time I was convinced the sound was quiet nice but then I started to notice the absence of some sounds specially in the 200-300 Hz range. I always blamed the AVR7000 so I hooked an AudioControl EQ C-101 to help fix that hole. Then I moved from music CD-s to DVD´s so I had to hook a center channel and surround speakers. As the Bose Center Speaker was too expensive and my budget too short I started to look at the reviews and narrowed it to klipsch RC3 II, and I couldn´t beleave it. The sound coming out the RC3 was way better than that of the Bose, and for the first time I started to hear sounds I didn´t know were there, so my next goal was to get rid of the Bose and start saving money to buy the RF3´s. It took me a while but finally I bought them about 3 months ago and this is the result of the final system set up:
H/K AVR 7000 Receiver
Klipsch RF3 II mains
Klipsch RC3 II center
Polk R20 surround
AudioControl C-101 Eq Real Time Analizer
Pioneer DVD-656A
Velodyne CHT-12 Sub

I bought the Klipsch RF3´s not only because the center channel impressed me, but because of the amount of reviews with very good ratings, and before doing so I also gave them an audition just to make sure.
Now the AVR7000 sounds different, clear and crisp. At the begining the bass was quit weak but after almost 40 hrs of break in they sounded better, some times I dont´t even use the Velodyne because the bass they give is more than enough. I had to relisten to all my CD´s and DVD´s because now I can hear a lot of sounds the Bose was just unable to reproduce.
One day just for fun, I used the C-101 which has a Real Time Analizer built in to compare the frequency response of the
Bose against the Klipsch and I realized that the klipsch has an almost flat response starting at 40Hz up to 16KHz, just a little fall in the last two 1/8 whereas the bose response is totally irregular, with a dramatic fall at the last 3 1/8 and very weak at the first around the 40 Hz.
Other thing worth to mention here is the amazing difference in sensitivity, with the Bose I used to put the volume between -5 and 0 db on the AVR7000 to hear it loud, but with the Klipsh, I can get as much db with just -15 db, which is good because i don´t need to force the amplifier.
I you ever consider buying speakers for under $1000 go Klipsch, you will never regret, they are hard to find, specially here in Costa Rica, but if you see them, go buy them.
I demo them to my friends with the drum solo in "Moby Dick" by John Bonham in the Led Zeppeling DVD, you can actually feel Bonham and the drums just as if you were standing right close to him.

Submitted by Wyloch a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
One particularly impressive and downright surprising feature was the mid frequencies. Klipsch always delivers rediculous highs and plenty of low, but commonly causes mids to get drowned out, resulting in an emptier sound. The RF-3s seemed very well balanced.

These fit great with my bookshelf KSB 1.1s as rears and 60 watts of Yamaha going through them.