Klipsch KG 4
Description: Medium sized horn speakers

Submitted by MacArthur a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2015

Bottom Line:
Driven by the Yamaha CR1020 in a small acoustically dead living room, these KG-4s are simply superb. The tests are Bach's St. Matthew Passion on Angel vinyl and the Living Stereo Sheherezade (Reiner) vinyl. The Klipsch tag claims 38 to 20K +/- 3 db and I hear no deviation from that. At current Ebay prices (2015) of $300 to $500 these are certainly a bargain.

Submitted by Cory a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2015

Bottom Line:
I just got a set of these recently to play with my late sixties vintage Sansui 350receiver. I don't know if its the speakers or the design of Sansui's first SS receivers, mine is 22 watts per channel, but the sound is incredibly smooth and sweet. The real deal with vintage receivers. Great with vinyl or CD's. Very efficient, on my little receiver it gets loud past ten o'clock on the volume indicator. Like these with any genre. Good with everything.

Submitted by bob.nonni a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2014

Bottom Line:
Klipsch KG-4

I love these speakers so much that I have 4 of them stacked two on two I have rebuilt the ti tweeters and crossovers from bob crites I have resealed the drivers with better gaskets I did removed the base platforms and tilt them back 10 degrees, towed them in at 30 degrees 8 feet apart 2 feet from back wall 4 feet from side wall, they being driven with a Yamaha 85 watt a side and at 9 o clock they rock. I spent 2 grand on new speakers to try to better the sound big mistake took a loss on trading them back and back to the Klipsch now I love them more than ever . Don't spend your money on new speakers pick up a pair or two pair have them upgraded and sit back and enjoy. I have been doing this for 20 years looking for the perfect sound I'm done looking .

Submitted by Dave a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2014

Bottom Line:
I still have my vintage 1986 Klipsch KG4's that I purchased new, but they had become a bit dull in the mids and one horn seemed to slightly clip. I have kept these in pristine condition other than playing them really loud for two decades. Not wanting to try soldering myself, I removed the horns and the crossovers and sent everything to Crites to rebuild the crossover and put in the upgraded titanium diaphrams in the horns.Total cost was $200 shipped back to my door. I have always loved these speakers, but the upgrades have me hearing things I haven't heard in years deep within some of my favorite tracks. I can't compare the present to 1986, but I would venture to say that these sound much better than they ever did, and as good or better than anything less than $1200 a pair I have listened to anywhere else. Putting the horns and crossovers back in takes 5 minutes with a screwdriver, and for under $200 these speakers sound great and are ready to do so for another 20 years. They don't make them like this anymore. If you have a pair, hang onto them and consider this cheap upgrade. You will be amazed. If you are looking for a killer pair of mid fi speakers on the cheap pick up a pair of these and put in the Crites crossover and horn tweeter upgrades. Crites even carries the original speaker cloth for grills, logos, etc. These speakers are real wood, so you can refinish them to look as good as they sound, too.

Submitted by demort71 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2012

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair of KG4s at a second hand store last month for a measily $160! I never thought I would own a pair of Klipsch speakers, meaning my tightwad wife wouldn't let me spend serious money on new stereo equip., but these were too good of a deal even in her book!

This year I started to upgrade my audio equip. No, I am not up to Macintosh quality, but we are getting bigger and better and that is what it is about-right? I have had a 30W Yamaha amp and DCM speakers for two decades now. The DCMs I love and the Yamie is OK. I just sold a Marantz 2225 receiver yesterday on eBay for $200. Sweet yes, but not enough volume.

My newest vintage receiver is a Sansui G3500 Pure Power. The Sansui does a good job at a lowly volulme level 4 driving the Klipschs to levels that start shaking the upstairs floor. My opinion is the KG4s are lacking on the bottom end, while the mids and highs are nicely defined. What to do? No sub for me, I have a pair of muddy JVC SK-303 8 ohm three ways to pick up the slack on the bottom end. Actually the four of them work well together. The Klipschs takes care of the highs and some of the mids and the JVCs share the mids and provide more bass. Blend them together and you get a better sound. I just bought a TEAC EQA-20 equalizer that is going on the Sansui system, so I will see what it can do to improve things.

These KG4s are quality speakers and they play instrumental music and yes even blues (should I say ZZ Topp style blues) very well. For the money I didn't go wrong. My more audiophile younger brother has a pair of Klipsch Heritages and three Marantz receivers and amps. He thought I scored big time on the KG4s. I was glad to add them to my system. If you have a pair that you are unhappy with, send them to me and I will put them to use! LOL!