Klipsch Chorus

Submitted by Paul Hughes a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2011

Bottom Line:
I bought a set of four at PX i(Germany) in 1987 for 2000 dollars. I had been buying and trading stereo equipment for years. I had set a of Bose 901 that I purchased for around 800 dollars, Once I got the klipsch home I had to test them together. I own DBX Power AMP and Pre AMP (4 channel) by the way they made multi channel Amps in the 80s, I pop a CD in and began testing the speakers(pair of Bose 901 vs a pair Klipsch Chorus) I noticed the difference immediately. When I put 10 watts in to speakers I could that hear the klipsch:s sound above the Bose.I sold the Bose to my friend and did"nt say a word..If he had known he would have bought a pair Klipsch. Today I still have that set of Kilpsch, and all equipment that was bought in Germany, After 24 years they sound and look as good as did new. Of course they are not made by Klipsch any longer. EBAY has some of them, I would not consider selling mine, If you find and buy a set you will know and everyone in your area too. They may not by the best speakers out there, I would say for price and quality their in the top 10,

Submitted by Dynacohum a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2008

Bottom Line:
These were my first 3-way Klipsch speakers, I had been listening to the very fine Klipsch CF-2's before. Quite a step up. The golden midrange is spectacular. Much misinformation has been said about the "bright, overbearing" mids of these horn speakers. I totally disagree. The horn design has the lowest distortion of all. When you feed them with a high quality signal through tube preamps and tube amps these speakers will yield a superb 3-D midrange that I have not heard bettered. Near holographic when I coupled them to my Conrad Johnson Premier 10 preamp and modded Yaqin KT88 amp.
One thing that has showed me the greatness of these speakers is that over the years as I have upgraded from Sansui receivers to the CJ gear of the nineties the Klipsches were capable of delivering the improvement. I have yet to put a higher class of gear upstream that the Klipsches could not show the improvement. They are definitely not the weak link in the chain and the chain keeps improving. The only thing I may do to them is rebuild the crossovers as they are 14 years old and I hear that some nice film caps in there yields even more improvement. I will keep these great speakers as long as possible.

Submitted by Art DesMarais a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
What can I possibly say about the speakers that hasn't hardly been said before? Listening to jazz on Klipsch Chorus speakers is the same as being right there. Imaging and lifelike sound reproduction is outstanding and far superior to almost anything else in its class.

Purchased At:   High End Audio in Bo

Submitted by flappycars a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
Very easy to drive, extremely dynamic and very fast.Superb tight bass response. Pinpoint accurate soundstaging. They work best with single ended valve amps. My 11 watts per channel Unison Research Simply Four is PLENTY of power. Because they work best tight in corners, they are easy to accomodate. Very flat response. They work best with high quality copper cables. DEFINITELY not silver plate cables!Exceptionally revealing, particularly the midband. Fantastic soundstage and very natural.

Purchased At:   Devizes, England

Submitted by Duratek a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
I am at a crossroads, but replacing my Klicsh Chorus II (I had ordered a pr and they came in damaged, when next pr came they had II after model, some slight upgrades, no cost dif) speakers will not be taken lightly, and it would take speakers of the highest degree of better to get me to do it.

Like many of us, I have slowly upgraded my system. Perhaps getting the Klipsch speakers was the most important, because it started me down the road to improve the other components.

Driving the Klipsch ar two gutsy but clean Adcom amps, 200W for fronts are more than enough as the speakers are VERY efficient.

Major change was to purchase SOny DVD/CD transport with SCAD technology....bought last year, around $1K...smooth as silk single play....I have a spare Nakamachi for multiple play to run to outdoor B and W speakers.

Pre amp is a Proceed...a baby Mark Levinson...high end quality without taking you broke...about $4,500.

Upgraded to rear wall Difinitive bipolar surrounds when we did a bump out addition and they sit 6 ft up to the side of listening area...perfect location.

I am lucky as I have lost of wood and stone and glass.....front speakers are spread 20 ft apart!

I heard a pair of smaller B and W speakers at a frindes house and was impressed with thier sound...especially with percusion and horns.....but I cannot say they sounded better than my Klipschs.

I bought my Klipsch speakers when MR Klipsch STILL owned the company, I don;t feel quality is quite the same now nor the commitment to lead the field.

Argument is made by some that if using folded horns was so good, why doesn't another major manufacturer use it??

I cannot answer that, I can only go by how they sound, in my house.

The answer to that would be oustanding, they sufficent base with rear facing passive radiating 15" woofer...but with an 18" Velodyne subwoofer...who cares??

Yes, you DO need a subwoofer no matter how good your speakers are.

I think, part my 18 ft ceilings and open nature and hard surfaces of the family room conspire to give me a nice open sound.....but the folded horns throw and disperse the sound so nicely, the speakers just dissapear, and isn't that what you want? especially if you put on an SACD recording.

Unless I trade these in for a pr of $11K B and W 801's......I think I;ll keep my klipsch, one of the best speaker values ever.