KLH HTA-810
Description: (4) 2-way sattelites, 1 MTM center channel, 1 10" powered sub

Submitted by Timothy Dorcas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2000

Bottom Line:
I purchased a refurbed set from Spidergear as another reviewer recommended. They arrived at my door for $189.

The first thing that struck me was how heavy the box was. Lifting it was quite a strain. SOmething in there was quite heavy. It turns out that it was the Subwoofer. I must say that I'm quite pleased with the capabilities of this subwoofer. When playing movies, I get a nice deep rumble in the places where I'm suppose to. There are built in controls for crossover and volume which allows a bit of tweaking. I could easily wake up the neighbors with this one.

The satellites are something else. They look cheap, feel on the cheap side and come with cheap parts (speaker wire, brackets, ect.). The center speaker is not much better. There seems to be a tinniness to the sound.

I must say that I'm still in the process of tweaking my sound system. I'm hopeful I can get a little more out of what I have. Overall, I'm pretty happy with my purchase considering I essentionally ran out of money for speakers when redoing my entertainment system. This proved to be a nice alternative. As I have already mentioned, I think the subwoofer alone is worth the money I spent so actually the satellites and center speaker are gravy.

Submitted by Dustin Thai a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
I purchased this for my gf because she doenst know jack about sound quality and i wanted to puchase a system and save some money for my own system. Lycos 101 baby!! Its the best system for your buck.. if you not into really loud music that will tear your eardrums away then this is for you for your budget. Movies are pretty good, but as in everything you should rely more on the reciever for better sound control.

Submitted by Jim Collins a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2000

Bottom Line:
Got a refurbished pair through spidergear.com. For well less than $200 delivered I think you would be hard pressed to find a better value in a home surround speaker package. Movies sound great although center channel can sound a bit tinny during some movies. The 100 watt sub sounds as good as some $400+ subs I have heard. Controls on sub work well and give you some versatility in listening preference. If you want a good package at a great price don't hesitate to buy. My reciever has outputs for 2 sets of front speakers so I usually don't use these for high volume Rock Music.

Submitted by Eric Vang a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 3, 1999

Bottom Line:
for the price of less than 200, you should be able to find it for that much if you look around, it is the best deal i have found.

the bass module reproduces faithfully and the center channel does a good job at dialogue and main vocals. however, the satilites are not sufficent with their 3-1/2 drivers. doesn't produce the quaility of that mid-bass realm in sound frequency.

but if you are willing to overlook that, to me noticible but for others may not, gap in frequency - it's a hell of a system.

Submitted by Gary L. Senkus a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 1, 1999

Bottom Line:
With a price of less than $190 to the front door the price is right. These are not for listening to music, the center speaker can sound tinny with some movies. It appears that later releases like PVT Ryan come thru to well, tapes purchased that are older rentals seem more prone to show the systems short commings. the 100 watt sub is strong and because of it you cannot loose, well maybe not, i got 3 sets at an auction, 2 lots of 2. 1 lot refurbs, 1 new. My brother in law and his brother have got new with brackets and instructions. I called KLH and they sent me some geneic instructions. Do not pay over $200 out the door, you will have about the best that $200 - $300 will buy for HT not R&R.