KLH 9915
Description: 4-way floor speaker w/ 15" woofer and bass reflex design (2 ports)

Submitted by alanmaier a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2011

Bottom Line:
I've heard many modern KLH speakers that honestly weren't bad. Typically they are pleasing to listen to (for background music) and a good value. Then I came upon these monsters....

Dear God, these have to be one of the worst sounding speakers to bless the market! The drivers are very poor in quality and performance. The 15" woofer is housed in a thin MDF cabinet (the baffle is only 5/8" thick) and have NO damping material in them. The result is hollow 1-note bass... and a serious lack of bass extension.

The midrange is pure "honk", producing vocals that scream at you - nothing good to say here. I wonder to myself how much more cost would have been involved by using a larger midrange driver with a lower resonance, which would have least resulting in the illusion of a "fuller" midband and better vocals.

Treble is okay, but at this level of speaker - it's hard to ruin the manufacturing budget with a pair of the cheapest imaginable dome tweeters. 2 sizes of metal dome tweeter are used, which at least provides a pair of resonances.

One thing these will do is play LOUD. They are very efficient, and can rattle the house with a typical "100 watt" low-end receiver. They are rated at 300 watts, yeah, right.

With most of the recent KLH speakers, they are tweakable and can be made to sound respectable with some damping material and crossover adjustments. With these, improvement could be made by bracing the cabinet, adding damping material, and installing basic crossover components, but they would still be outperformed by a modest bookshelf speaker - like the Bose 301. Seriously.

Submitted by (O0o*o0O) a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2011

Bottom Line:
Cheap, good looking, and if you can believe it they even sound great too. Decent mids and highs that help support the huge bass from their 15"s. The 4-way design of these speakers really brought out the sound where the other 12" 3-ways by KLH had failed.
Put the rock & roll to them or even rap and let the bi-standards know what you have purchased. Yet they are broad enough to impress the jazz or even classical listener too.
If I was looking to reproduce some tunes for a modest price the KLH 9915 pair would be something I would look for. Not so much any other KLH speakers. Their 8' 3-way bookshelf speakers were pretty nice sounding. Maybe a 10" or bigger subwoofer, but the plate amplifiers are usually crap.
I quickly sold my KLH system after my mother gave me a pair of her old speakers out of storage. A fairly nice pair of Pioneer HPM-60's that need a little work. After repairing just one of them and hooking it up to my system I realized what sound was.

My System Of Yesteryear:
KLH L853B Rear Speakers
(2) KLH ? 8" Subwoofers

Submitted by Flowmaster a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2009

Bottom Line:
First I have to say that Bose is a terrible speaker in my and almost every other true (NOT AN AMATEUR) AudioPhile's opinion. I have heard other KLH speakers and they sound mildlydecent. Some KLH speakers have a very low build quality in terms of the cabinet, the magnets, and low quality wiring. First the 9915s are not 4 way, the super tweeter and the tweeter connect together into one wire when they should be individual wires getting different frequencies. The speaker's wire is sadly 22 gauge when it should be at least 14 or 12 gauge cosidering the massive 15" woofer. The cabinet should be solid oak or some other wood not partical board with vinyl covering like the 9915 considering the air pressure and rattling from the bass. The 9915s only have one peice of sponge or some type of dampening material its not even supported to the walls of the enclosure. I myself have a Home Theatre composed of JBL, Yamaha, Infinity, Optimus, B&W, Totem, and Paradigm. These speakers are very good for a teen's first sound system.

Submitted by tubesaregood a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2006

Bottom Line:
I use these with a Denon PMA-300V integrated amp, rated at 55W RMS per channel. I'm doubtful as to their performance on lesser quality amps.

But overall, I'd have to say "Pretty sweet" as the bottom line for these guys. On to the review...

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by corycory a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought my KLH-9915 after I purchase my Yamaha AX-592 and my EQ-550. I discovered that the speakers I owned just did not give me the sound quality I was looking for I had a Pair of Bose 301, and having the AX-592 Plus the EQ I knew I needed a speaker that would deliever without costing me $2,000.

As soon as hooked up the 9915 I was sold on the KLH line. You could actually feel the bass sounds on the floor the sound is excellent.

Purchased At:   Best Buy