JBL LX-750
Description: Floorstanding speaker, 2* 6.5" woofer, 1" tweeter.

Submitted by John Nijhuis a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 2, 1998

Bottom Line:
About a year ago I purchased the JBL LX-750 speakers. A 3-way floorstanding speaker with two woofers and a titanium dome tweeter. Before purchasing them, I compared them with a couple of other brands in the same price-range. My dealer had a nice offer for the JBL's because the model would be replaced. They cost only $500 a pair instead of the normal price of $900 a pair. The JBL's have pretty clear highs, and a detailled sound. You can tell: there is the voice, and there is the guitar.
With the two 6.5" woofers they can produce enough bass, and can handle quite low frequencies. But the bass is especially in small rooms (like mine) not that controlled and sometimes too loud.
The drums are clearly present. That's nice if you're listening to Phil Collins or something, but can sometimes be a bit too loud when you're listening to R&B. (a few numbers).
Another thing is that they DO sound, I mean the sound is a bit straightforward. (not like Quad's) That's something you have to like. I do like it, because I play mostly modern music (R&B, Dance, Rock etc.) and no classical music. Therefor I wouldn't recommend the speakers for listening to "old" music.

Overall I'm happy with my speakers (Remember: I'm a casual listener and not an audiophile). I think they are worth the $500 I paid for them. Compared to some other speakers in this price-class I think they're pretty good. But I wouldn't even consider paying the normal price of $900 for them. I don't know that much about speakers, but I do know that there are better ones for that money! But for $500 I think they're ok.

Conclusion: 4 stars if you buy them for $500