Infinity Systems Systems SM65

Submitted by Sijercic Damir a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 21, 1999

Bottom Line:
About Studio Monitor 65, i can say only the best - very very differentiated sound - after small efficiency of Tanoy Mercury M1 - this SM 65 with his over 90 dB sound , on marantz A/B amp, You can say nothing, just change CD-s and wonder - realy discover new instruments and vocals in records whos are listened acros many years...Is my best by for now.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by bj392 a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 2, 1999

Bottom Line:
For $65 these would be fine, I guess. I sure wouldn't buy them. I know someone that had a pair. They are very bright, loud and in your face. It's not possible to escape the noise. Connected to the television, they fail miserably, as well. Voices sound loud and unnatural. Worth 5 bucks a pair.

Duration Product Used:   a Casual Listener

Submitted by Jojo a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 17, 1998

Bottom Line:
I thought these guys were kind of airey. I only paid $65 for a clearance pair. They are better now that I replaced the drivers with units from Vifa, added internal insulation, re-did the wiring with monster cable, and the crossover with aeon caps. Without that stuff they were 3 stars

Submitted by AVA a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 17, 1998

Bottom Line:
I am proud owner of SM65. It has surpassed my expectation for a small speaker. Clarity is perfect though lacking slightly in bass (not to be expect for a small unit like SM65). When I purchased this unit several months ago, I compared it with other brands with same size like the Wharfedale Diamond V & JBL monitor series & AR, this unit easily is better. I can say that we can compare this unit with B & W 302 thou the price 302 is much higher.

Submitted by Hank a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 19, 1998

Bottom Line:
My main set consists of exotic stuff like Apogee speakers and the Sunfire power amp. Not long ago, I bought a pair of SM65's for my second HT setup to go with my Harmon Kardon AVR20 Mk II and Paradigm sub-woofer in the bedroom.
Now, 1 month later, I am still very impressed with the sound! The SM65 speakers give great mids and very extended highs, and sound very natural and dynamic, with remarkable detail and musical timbre. They are connected thru the high-pass filter of the sub, so the bass is supplied only by the sub, leaving the amp and Infinity's to concentrate on the mids and highs. Overall, the sound is a little bright, although this could be due to the cables used (I use Kimber PBJ interconnects and Ixos Gamma 6003 speaker cables. In fact, I enjoy the music so much, I seldom listen to the main set these days. Makes me wonder why I spent so much on audiophile gear in the first place....

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile