Infinity Systems RS1
Description: 5 1/4 in. poly woofer with rubber surrounds 1/2 in. polycarbonate tweeter

Submitted by Michael a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
They are EXCELLENT speakers for the money. I have been looking for another pair of speakers that are tonally natural and offer excellent imaging and soundstaging as these RS1. I did, unfortunately they all start at $300/pair!! Don't let the 1/2" Polycarbonate driver throw you. It's an excellent tweeter that matched well with the 1" silk tweeter of Infinities RS tower speakers. I just auditioned the Entra speakers and they are a major disappointment when compared to these dirt cheap RS speakers! The Entra 1, 2, or 3 don't have the smoothness, imaging, or tonal accuracy as these RS1s.

Since I wanted voiced speakers, I did end up with the Entra Point5 satellites to serve back surround duties. They just lack the smoothness, accuracy, and imaging of the higherend RS speakers. The

Alpha 10 speakers are the newer replacements to these RS1 and share very VERY similiar sonics.

Infinity had told me that the cabinet tuning and the crossovers are the main differences between their lower end Entras and their higher end RS, Interlude, and Alpha series. So while the drivers are different, these barely contribute to the sonic differences. The electronic crossovers and cabinet tuning are the main sonic differences. I have Sterling 2001 Infinity bookshelves. They had the same MSRP as the RS1 and same size 5 1/4" woofer(different material) and same 1/2" Polycarbone Tweeter. They sound pinched in the voices compared to the RS1's. While the Entra Point5 also sound different than the RS1s, they are a better match being that have a fuller midrange. The Sterling Series and Entra Series while having a different sound, share the same inferior imaging and tonal inaccuracies although I feel the Entras are more accurate.

BTW, while the Sterling and Entra series are not up to par with the RS, Interlude, or Alpha series, they still are very good budget speakers when compared to other competitive speakers from different makes.

I honestly didn't realize what excellent speakers the RS1 were until I tried to find a speaker to match their performance. Very hard spending $300 or more to equal the performance of speakers I paid $100/pair. That $100 was closeout, $200/pair MSRP.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by John242Ti a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
Quite good performance for a small speaker. Mine are actually the 1991 version (called the Reference E-L), but are essentially the same as the current RS1. For my bedroom system, the bass is quite good, and, overall, I'd consider them to be a good buy, even at the original $100.

Purchased At:   Magnolia Hi-Fi

Submitted by lowestofthelow a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
This little jems give detailed sound that match well
with any mid-priced reciever (Onkyo, NAD... ).
However, you must match them with a good sub. In
a good setup these speakers will out perform speakers
5 times more expensive. Their construction is very
solid with good binding posts. These are the best
bookshelves you can buy for under $500 (and you
can usually get them under $100!!!). Don't think twice
about having a pair. These can be used as mains
(with a sub), rears, centers, whatever...

I would like to see a frequency-responce test from
these little guys. There seams to be some colouration
around 6000-10000 Hz which is why many people
describe the speaker as "great for vocals".
The responce also seems to die off before 20000Hz
(not completely.. but it is not flat). These are minor
point though and if these are qualities you need, then
look at the Paradigm Monitor 5 (my next favourite
speaker - which goes into the next price bracket).

The break-in time for these speakers is about 1-2
weeks, depending on how strong you drive them.
Like good speakers, these will last a couple lifetimes,
with good resale value (I'm not selling mine!).

Equipment used:
recievers: Onkyo TX-SV424, NAD T751
CD/DVD: NAD T531
Turntable: NAD T533

Test Music:
CD: Vaughan Williams: Symphony No. 7 "Sinfonia antartica"
(Naxos: 8.550737), Bjork: Vespertine (CD 62653)
LP: Led Zeppelin (SD 8216), The Freewheelin' Bob
Dylan LP-5115 (180g reissue)

Tests:
Led Zepplin

Purchased At:   Futurejunk

Submitted by Richard Valdez a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2000

Bottom Line:
I recently went to Circuit City in search of an inexpensive center channel for my surround sound system. After reviewing the different speakers, the salesman pointed out to me that he had a single RS1 shelf speaker available with the same capabilities of the center channel I liked. It was their last RS1, left over from an "open box" pair that was broken up by a previous customer. I compared this single speaker to the ~$150 center channel and found it to have the same exact speakers. Because this was an old "open box" left over from September, he was willing to sell it to me for only $29.00. He replaced the center channel that was playing with this speaker and I thought it sounded as good, if not better! For the money, I felt that it was an extremely good deal and later found that the RS1 Speaker performed very well in my system as a center channel. I am very happy with this purchase.

Submitted by brent stone a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2000

Bottom Line:
I can't speak for the quality of the newer RS1s - I've had mine for about 10 years and they are still performing. I just went back on the market looking for a music/home theater setup and I was amazed at the lack of bookshelf speakers with better sound. Settling for those new mini theater speakers can't cut it after listening to these. The best new bookshelf speakers on the market I have heard for music are B&W 302's. Tried larger infinity's but they couldn't cut it. Too bad. But kudos to the guys that built my RS1s - Years of great listening.