Infinity Systems Reference 2000.5
Description: Ported 6.5in woofer, 1-in tweeter

Submitted by bondtrails a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2006

Bottom Line:
I've owned these RS2000.5 for nearly six years now and I can't complain. As with most everyone's posts, these speakers are great for their highs and mid range. With respect to the lows, its rather flat and muted. For some, this may be a bit of a disappointment given the physical dimensions (you would expect more bass out of the acoustic chamber housing of these speakers).

But for those that don't mind pairing these up with a subwoofer, these speakers perform quite admirably. Their response is great and can follow the transients of a well engineered CD. Where these speakers shine are in home theatre use because of the dynamic mids and highs required. The fact that they don't pump out lots of lows isn't an issue for home theatre because you should already have a subwoofer. In a 5.1 THX setup, you can safely set these speakers as "Large" to maximize the full range of sounds coming out of your receiver.

All in all, these were worth the $300 I paid for them (but definitely not worth more than that).

Purchased At:   Ubid.com

Submitted by Keith Karnok a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 7, 1999

Bottom Line:
I got these slightly used for $200 for the pair and now use them as my fronts. I have the Infinity BU2 sub to handle the bass. The bass on the 2000.5 speakers are enough, but not overwhelming, but what do you expect from a 6.5 inch driver? Almost everyone should have a sub anyways, so who really cares? I also have the RS3 for my rears and the CC3 for my center running off a Yamaha receiver. I hear a lot of people claim that there are better speakers out there, but for the money, the set up that I have blows me away!!! I would definetly recommend Infinity to anyone, especially these speakers for the price I got them for!!
RS 2000.3-- $150 pair (Mercata)
RS 2000.5-- $200 pair (Audio Review classifieds)
CC3 -- $145 (Mercata)
BU2 -- $160 (Mercata)

Submitted by Dave a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 24, 1999

Bottom Line:
Picked up these beauties for $300/pr from J&R. I'm driving them with a Harmon/Kardon AVR40, with MIT Terminator 6 speaker-wires (I can't recommend these enough). Other gear includes a Desper Spatializer S250, an old Sony changer, and a Kenwood SW200 powered sub. While the bass from these speakers is somewhat lacking, as noted by several other reviewers, the mids and highs are crystal clear. The silk-dome tweeters with the elliptical wave-guide add up to absolutely superb imaging--much better than anything else I auditioned in the same price range. And, to top it all off, these speakers have a very small footprint and are drop-dead gorgeous! From a price/performance standpoint, I'll have to give these speakers 4.5 stars; if they had more bass they'd get the full 5.

Submitted by Matt a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 16, 1998

Bottom Line:
J&R Music in NYC is closing these out at $300 a pair, they took the px down to $270 when I bought a receiver and CD player. For the money, they're very good speakers. I agree with many of the other reviewers' opinion that the bass is wanting, and that mids and highs are pretty clear. I'm wondering if they'll make good rear surround speakers at some point...

Duration Product Used:   a Casual Listener

Submitted by Kok-Boon TAn a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 5, 1998

Bottom Line:
I am now in a dilemma in getting the 2000.4 or 2000.5. These two has a very large price difference as it is discontinued right now and I am planning to get a subwoofer. (BU-2) From what I observed from all the reviews, the 2000 series produces good and crystal clear sound but they are lacking lots of bass. So, I am hoping for a few piece of advise as I am planning to get a pair of 2000.4 and a BU-2. What do you guys think?